What to expect after mistakes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cms

Reaction score
I'll start off by saying that I'm NOT worrying and AM relaxing.

I, like about a million other people, got a kit as an xmas gift and recently brewed and bottled my first batch.

On the fateful brew day, I got a very late start (not realizing just how long it would take), was already tired and about halfway through, was sweating out a pretty bad fever (later found out that I had strep). So there are my excuses for what I'm about to admit to.

So I got an ingredient kit with all the stuff my wife got at the homebrew shop - Brewers Best German Altbier. I read the instructions probably a hundred times before I started and felt pretty prepared. Here are the mistakes that I made...

Steeped the grain bag and then brought to a boil VERY slowly. For some reason, I didn't want to overshoot 'boiling' or something. So I inched up the stove slowly and it took, of course, FOREVER to finally get a light boil. Once it started the light boil (I was sick at this point) I added the bittering hops instead of the cans of malt extract. After 15 minutes, I realized that I forgot the malt and dumped it in. The boil stopped and took a little while to catch back up but I let it boil for the remaining time that it was supposed to boil (so the malt boiled about 15 minutes less that it was supposed to and the hops boiled 15 minutes more than they were supposed to). Then I added the flavoring hops, finished the boil and then set my brew pot in a sink filled with ice water. I stirred the wort from time to time to try and cool it but while it was still quite hot, I dropped my hot thermometer (a glass candy thermometer..Lame, huh) into the ice water and shattered. So I left the wort in the pot for a while longer, filled my primary with a couple gals of cool (maybe too warm) tap water and then siphoned the wort from the kettle into the bucket. I felt the outside of the bucket (no more thermometer at this point) and it felt really hot still. So I waited and stirred and waited and stirred. I took a hydrometer reading and it was much lower than the instructions said it should be (later, I decided that the liquid was about 90-ish degrees and mentally adjusted to a 'normal' OG based on a calc I saw online to adjust for temp.) Eventually, I estimated that the temp was about right (In hindsight, I think it was still too hot) and pitched the packet of yeast. The instructions said to stir it in so I did. Then I snapped on the lid and added the airlock filled with tap water and then sloshed the bucket downstairs, noticed that I now had yellow water in the airlock, rinsed it out with tap water and put it back in. Then I waited a couple days - no bubbles in the airlock. In fact, it looked like the water was on the wrong side of the "S" - like it was trying to suck the water into the bucket (hence my suspicion that the wort was still too hot). A couple days later, I opened the lid and peeked. The top of the wort looked like flat beer - no bubbles or evidence of previous bubbled. I put the lid back on and read some blogs about re-pitching yeast. The night (or maybe it was the next day), the airlock started going nuts. Lots of bubbles. It bubbled like that for a few days and then started slowing down. I waited until the bubbles slowed to about 1 per minute and then siphoned into a sterile glass carboy, bunged and airlocked. The hydrometer reading showed that it had gone down quite a bit. I noted the value and waited. After a while, the beer in the carboy stopped producing bubbles and just looked flat. A few hydrometer reading indicated that it was finished doing what it was doing so I bottled.

On bottling day, I boiled the priming sugar from the kit and while it was boiling, I siphoned the beer into the bottling bucket - then I realized that I was supposed to add beer on top of sugar. Whoops. So I poured in the priming sugar and then gently stirred to make sure it was distributed. Then bottled and moved the bottles to a guest room shower. I filled 43 bottles from the 5 gallon batch. So there was some loss of liquid that I hadn't expected. Some went to hydro samples, but I wonder where the rest went. I filled the fermenting bucket up to the 5 gallon mark on brew day.

Anyway, after 5 days, I moved one bottle to the fridge and the day after, tasted it. It smells just like beer. in fact, it smells fantastic! It had some (very little) fizz in the bottle, looked like cloudy beer in the glass and even managed a thin little head that vanished after 30 seconds. Green beer that still needs more time - no biggie, right? Then I had a taste. It tasted exactly like the beer I had been extracting using the thief for the hydro readings (I drank all the hydro samples). Starts malty-sweet, then turns quite bitter. I managed to finish the glass and decided it just needs more time (that was very young, I know).

So after all that explanation, I have a couple questions.

What affect will the hops-before malt mixup have on the final taste?

Does it sound like fermentation went okay? It started quite late but seemed to do okay once it got started (the crust in the primary was almost to the lid - a sign of a lot of vigorous activity, right?) I worry (I know -I said I wasn't worrying...) that either the airlock rinse, the peek under the lid, etc. may have invited some wild yeast - and maybe the heat killed the ale yeast and I fermented with just wild yeast.

What affect will the beer before sugar snafu have on the final taste/condition?

Will this beer likely be viable after it's conditioned and aged properly?

Sorry for the long post - not sure what bits are relevant.

I'll start off by saying that I'm not worrying and relaxing.

You've done your research! Excellent :mug:

Steeped the grain bag and then brought to a boil VERY slowly. For some reason, I didn't want to overshoot 'boiling' or something.

Doesn't matter. Generally, you want to pull out your grain bag by about 170F.

Once it started the light boil (I was sick at this point) I added the bittering hops instead of the cans of malt extract. After 15 minutes, I realized that I forgot the malt and dumped it in. The boil stopped and took a little while to catch back up but I let it boil for the remaining time that it was supposed to boil (so the malt boiled about 15 minutes less that it was supposed to and the hops boiled 15 minutes more than they were supposed to).

Not a big deal. In theory, you'll get a slightly more bitter beer, but not by a huge margin and an alt beer recipe can stand some degree of swing.

I dropped my hot thermometer (a glass candy thermometer..Lame, huh) into the ice water and shattered.

Mercury thermometer? If so, don't go anywhere near drinking this stuff. Mercury poisoning is bad, bad news. An alcohol thermometer isn't as bad, but still...

I took a hydrometer reading and it was much lower than the instructions said it should be (later, I decided that the liquid was about 90-ish degrees and mentally adjusted to a 'normal' OG based on a calc I saw online to adjust for temp.)

How low is low? The difference between normal (usually 60F or 68F, depending on your hydrometer) and 90F is about .004. On an extract kit, you'll have a hard time missing your gravity by much so long as you use the right amount of water.

Eventually, I estimated that the temp was about right (In hindsight, I think it was still too hot) and pitched the packet of yeast.

Pitching at 90F isn't a great idea, but it should still be beer. You might get some off flavors, but again...an altbier can take a little bit of abuse in a way that a pilsner wouldn't be able to.

Then I snapped on the lid and added the airlock filled with tap water and then sloshed the bucket downstairs, noticed that I now had yellow water in the airlock, rinsed it out with tap water and put it back in.

:confused: You didn't...pee in the airlock...did you?

Then I waited a couple days - no bubbles in the airlock. In fact, it looked like the water was on the wrong side of the "S" - like it was trying to suck the water into the bucket (hence my suspicion that the wort was still too hot).

Probably correct.

A couple days later, I opened the lid and peeked. The top of the wort looked like flat beer - no bubbles or evidence of previous bubbled. I put the lid back on and read some blogs about re-pitching yeast. The night (or maybe it was the next day), the airlock started going nuts. Lots of bubbles. It bubbled like that for a few days and then started slowing down.

Sounds like a normal fermentation, if a bit slow to get started.

The hydrometer reading showed that it had gone down quite a bit. I noted the value and waited. After a while, the beer in the carboy stopped producing bubbles and just looked flat. A few hydrometer reading indicated that it was finished doing what it was doing so I bottled.

You don't mention how long had passed, but I like keeping my beer in fermentor for 3-4 weeks. If you had steady gravity, though, that's the important thing.

On bottling day, I boiled the priming sugar from the kit and while it was boiling, I siphoned the beer into the bottling bucket - then I realized that I was supposed to add beer on top of sugar. Whoops. So I poured in the priming sugar and then gently stirred to make sure it was distributed.

Generally, yes, beer onto sugar so you don't have to stir, but again not a huge deal.

Then bottled and moved the bottles to a guest room shower. I filled 43 bottles from the 5 gallon batch. So there was some loss of liquid that I hadn't expected. Some went to hydro samples, but I wonder where the rest went. I filled the fermenting bucket up to the 5 gallon mark on brew day.

This is normal. Most of it is sitting in your trub, some likely got spilled, and some gets lost in transfers, and perhaps you filled your bottles slightly more than 12oz each (which doesn't matter).

Anyway, after 5 days, I moved one bottle to the fridge and the day after, tasted it. It smells just like beer. in fact, it smells fantastic! It had some (very little) fizz in the bottle, looked like cloudy beer in the glass and even managed a thin little head that vanished after 30 seconds. Green beer that still needs more time - no biggie, right?

Correct. Expect at least three weeks for proper carbonation.

Then I had a taste. It tasted exactly like the beer I had been extracting using the thief for the hydro readings (I drank all the hydro samples). Starts malty-sweet, then turns quite bitter. I managed to finish the glass and decided it just needs more time (that was very young, I know).

Altbiers are often somewhat bitter in finish. It will mellow with time, if you don't like that quality.

What affect will the hops-before malt mixup have on the final taste?

Slight increase in bitterness.

Does it sound like fermentation went okay? It started quite late but seemed to do okay once it got started (the crust in the primary was almost to the lid - a sign of a lot of vigorous activity, right?) I worry (I know -I said I wasn't worrying...) that either the airlock rinse, the peek under the lid, etc. may have invited some wild yeast - and maybe the heat killed the ale yeast and I fermented with just wild yeast.

If you had wild beasties, your beer would taste bad. Sounds fine, though in the future you'll want to get your temperature management under a bit more control. Hot pitching will produce off-flavors, typically.

What affect will the beer before sugar snafu have on the final taste/condition?

None. You introduced a bit of oxygen stirring, I suppose, but not a huge issue. Considering this is your first batch, I doubt it will be around long enough for oxidation problems.

Will this beer likely be viable after it's conditioned and aged properly?

Sounds like it :mug:

But, the thermometer thing makes me nervous...are you sure it wasn't mercury?

Hey I think you did great!! I've never brewed extract but have read about several brewers who don't add the malt extract until late in the boil anyways, so your boo boo is actually a practiced technique. Fermentation sounds like it went ok, some yeasts take a good 48 hours to get going good, like some batches of nottingham dry yeast for example, using yeast starters will eliminate this problem for you in the future along with build much healthier yeast cells that will help produce better beer. As far as the beer before priming sugar issue, I used to bottle beer this way and never saw much of a uneven carbonation problem but I do now add priming sugar first, beer second to make sure I avoid mixing issues. If the beer tasted good young it should taste better with age, I personally like to see 10-14 days at room temp, and at least 24-48 hours in a fridge before drinking. Something about that cold conditioning helps round out the beer flavors to me. This are opinions based mostly on my own experiences, but maybe they'll help you out. Congrats on your successful brew!!

I should have clarified - the thermometer broke in the sink when it hit the cold water - not in the beer. Actually, the mercury part of it didn't break - just the outer glass.

I don't remember the actual OG reading offhand (it's noted in a log book) but after adjusting for the estimated wort temp it was within the range but on the low side.

The beer was in the primary for 9 days and in the secondary for 12 days. Seemed like 6 years - maybe I was a bit impatient (a common theme in the process)...

I will leave those bottles alone for a few weeks and I think you're right. I'll just be happy to drink my own beer, it'll go quickly. Well, even other people's beer goes pretty fast for me - I do love the stuff.

Thanks for the response!

he said he broke the thermometer in the ice water bath - not the wort so he is ok.

Originally Posted by cms
I dropped my hot thermometer (a glass candy thermometer..Lame, huh) into the ice water and shattered

edit - i post waay to slow!!

You did great!

The way to think about your early batches is that they are learning experiences; at the end of which, as a side benefit, you get beer! And it really sounds like you learned a lot, since you paid attention to all the details of your process.

A couple pieces of advice which you may take or leave alone:

1. Before you do your next batch, use a gallon jug and put 5 measured gallons into your bucket, and note the level. I have heard that these buckets may not be accurate in their levels; do your own calibrating.

2. Digital thermometers FTW.

3. Get a thermo-strip for your bucket. You won't have to guess about the pitching temp; nor will you have to constantly re-sanitize a thermometer to stick into the wort.

No worries!

A couple pieces of advice which you may take or leave alone:

1. Before you do your next batch, use a gallon jug and put 5 measured gallons into your bucket, and note the level. I have heard that these buckets may not be accurate in their levels; do your own calibrating.

2. Digital thermometers FTW.

3. Get a thermo-strip for your bucket. You won't have to guess about the pitching temp; nor will you have to constantly re-sanitize a thermometer to stick into the wort.

Great tips - Thanks!

I should have clarified - the thermometer broke in the sink when it hit the cold water - not in the beer. Actually, the mercury part of it didn't break - just the outer glass.

Ah, great! In that case, looks fabulous. The things mentioned here will certainly streamline the process and improve your outcomes a bit, but you've got delicious, delicous beer coming your way.

It bubbled like that for a few days and then started slowing down. I waited until the bubbles slowed to about 1 per minute and then siphoned into a sterile glass carboy, bunged and airlocked. The hydrometer reading showed that it had gone down quite a bit. I noted the value and waited. After a while, the beer in the carboy stopped producing bubbles and just looked flat. A few hydrometer reading indicated that it was finished doing what it was doing so I bottled.

Next time leave it in primary unitl fermentation has fully completed. There is no reason transfer to secondary to let fermentation complete. It has already been said that 3-4 weeks in primary is a good time frame to shoot for, but a steady hydrometer reading is the most accurate way of telling when fermentation has completed.

Ziggybrew said:
When brewing, you never really make mistakes. They are just unscheduled experiments with alternate methods.

No, I'm pretty sure that time I dropped a full glass carboy on my kitchen floor was a mistake :D

They will get easier, and it will become more fun. Once you realize why you are taking all the steps you are, it will become second nature. The whole idea is to make a soup that the yeast can eat... then we get to drink their piss. The piss tastes better with a little bit of hops in there to balance out the sugars that may be left. Yum

A status report...

So I've put a test bottle in the fridge every few days (I'm impatient) and it's getting much better.

The head is very thick and heavy. Very tight, off-white foam with great retention.

This beer is much darker than I expected it to be. From this chart, I'd say it was about between 20-22...

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_E2nuhlW3Aps/TUeBt9_D9SI/AAAAAAAAIXg/Bo52Kl-fTRU/s512/IMG_3258.JPG

It's got a much better mouth feel since the carbonation has completed.

The bitter finish is smoothing out - so it's less like an after taste, but still present (maybe even style-appropriate, I'm not sure I've ever had a true altbier before). It seems much more robust with flavors other than 'bitter'. I'm getting some malty-sweet, now.

The sediment at the bottom of the bottle is getting more 'packed'. I get less of that stuff when I pour normally. The first couple bottles were shedding the sediment halfway through the pour, but now I can just leave the last bit in the bottle and it all stays put.

It's good enough to drink and I expect it will get better with more time, but if I bought this in the store, I would not buy it again.

Keep on brewing, they taste better every time. Your process will get smoother and you will constantly be learning new things.
Mixedbrewer is right about the fun increasing. But he sort of painted a new picture for me: I drink the piss of a little fungus-creature. And I'll do it again. Weird hobby, huh?

Back