What to do with waste water from immersion chiller in winter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerens

Reaction score
I just started to brew in my garage and I am just thinking about what to do with the water that comes out the back end of the IC in the middle of January. I don't want it going down my driveway and I definitely don't want to carry the water into my house. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers! :mug:

I currently water my yard with it. It works real nice running off my deck and through a garden hose to the sprinkler. I don't think that's going to help you much during the winter though. Maybe a garden hose to the street gutter?

I use it to fill buckets full of bottles and star san to help get the labels off.

I haven't had this issue yet, but couldn't you redirect the hottest to your mlt (assuming you use a cooler) to clean it out and then for cleaning out other items as you go?

The good news is that you'll have a lot less waste in the winter since the water temp should be under 50F. If it's not, you'll better off putting two buckets of water outside while you're brewing and pump that water into the chiller.

I saw a youtube video there the filmmaker used the runoff for laundry.

Me I just let it go on the ground.

For this past brew, I cleaned out the MLT during the boil (dumped the grains) and then put the outflow from the IC into the MLT with some oxyclean to start my cleaning regime. I don't know why I didn't think of it before.

Soon, I hope to get a rain barrel and drain into it for watering the vaggies and stuff my wife plans on planting (someday).

I run it down the sewer. It helps the turds slither along on their journey to the treatment plant.

I fill 5 gallon water bottles, then dump them into the clothes washer. When the washer is full of water, I use the rest when I clean the BK/march pump.

THere's really no good reason to waste the water.

If you're doing a 2 batch brewday, chiller water becomes mash water. Saves a bit of energy on heating those 4+ gallons all the way.

I minimize the amount produced by packing a cooler full of snow, adding a gallon or two of water and hooking up a submersible pump. All the water is contained in the cooler, and you can keep adding snow if you want. Best cold breaks ever!

I usually dump that by the brook, and since we have well water, it's like recycling.

Back