What to do with this wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatduck

Reaction score
Surly and the AHA are hosting a rally this coming weekend at Surly Brewing. They are handing out 5 gallons of Imperial Brown wort for the attendants to do what they what with.

The recipe is as follows

Surly / AHA Rally Beer Recipe
82% Canada Malting Pale Ale Malt
10.8% Fawcett Brown Malt
3.6% Dark Candi Syrup
1.8% Fawcett Crystal 85L
1.8% Fawcett Dark Crystal 120L
Bittering –Columbus
Whirlpool/aroma -Willamette
OG 21 ~ 1.087
IBU 64

I can't decide what to do with this, I would like to ferment it with something clean and easy like us04 and maybe dry hop it. But I also have a strong desire to get a little crazy and sour it, or maybe just half. Or what about splitting it in half and turning part into a braggot?

At this point I am open to any suggestions or ideas.

Make Beer!

Sorry, I have no idea, but knowing the source, (and looking at the ingredients), it's gonna be good whatever you do.

:off: So I went to Countryside VW, (up on Hwy 36, near 35E), and mentioned to one guy that I brew beer. He mentioned that the service manager handling my car is a homebrewer. When I pick up my car at the end of the day, stapled to my invoice is the invite to this AHA/Surly thing.

What else do you do with your AHA membership? Is it worth dropping beer cash on, (beer cash that currently is getting ready to go for hot/cold/drain plumbing in the garage/beer hut?)

You get a bi-monthly mag subscription to Zymurgy, which is a GREAT homebrewing magazine.

You also get a 5 gallon batch of 1087 wort, which depending on how you buy grains is worth the 33 bucks your going to spend on the membership.

So yeah, well worth it!

I pitched Windsor dry yeast into my Surly wort and it took off like crazy. Problem was that I brought a 5 gallon carboy, so with not much head space, it blew off about 3/4 of a gallon of wort. But free homebrew is still free, so I can't really complain. =D

Back