What to do with these ingredients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eon

Reaction score
I ordered a bunch of stuff online and bought too much stuff. I made the mistake of having all my grains milled. I believe this cuts down on life span?

I am not the best at putting recipes together yet. Looking at the list of ingredients below, What would you brew with some or all of these things? Just so everyone is aware, I can only do 3 gallon boils.

I obviously need to buy some DME and yeast, but here is what I have on hand right now:

1.75 lbs. British Brown malt
13.4 oz. Chocolate malt
2.5 oz. Black Patent
12.5 oz. Roasted Barley
4.6 oz. Special B
4.7 oz. Victory malt
1/2 lbs. Biscuit malt
8.4 oz. Red Wheat
12.5 oz. Honey Malt 20 L
1/2 lbs. Crystal 40 L
12.6 oz. Crystal 80 L
1/2 lbs. Crystal 120 L

.5 oz. Nugget
.5 oz. Willamette
.5 oz. Cascade
.5 oz. Centennial

*EDIT: I forgot. I also have about an ounce of candied orange peel.

I currently have a porter in Primary. Don't really want to brew another one but I might have to with these ingredients. All recipes welcome. THANKS!

Play around with these ingredients. Have fun. I want to brew soon. Have at it! :rockin:

I forgot to mention. If I can get two recipes out these ingredients that would be awesome too! Maybe an IPA and a Porter. or A brown ale and something else. I'm not really sure. Play with the ingredients. Make it wild, make it boring, just make it beer! :D

The biggest issue you have is NO base malt, well a few ounces of wheat and Vienna don't really count as much. If you are doing a partial mash and bought DME/LME then you could actually make a few different combos by adding your specialty grains. You've got enough roast and patent to make a decent dry stout (on the lower end of SRM) and probably could make a decent English Brown using some of the crystals and the brown malt. Although to make 2 beers you might also need to buy a little more hops.

PS - you can use milled grains for about 6 months if stored correctly, I believe.

Thanks electric! That's cool. If I need to buy some base malt, I'll do that too. Looking forward to see some recipes!

Well, I don't really want to buy more hops unless of course it's only a little amount. Perhaps just one beer then?

I am down for brewing ANY style but if possible would like to steer away from a dry sout. I have already brewed a stout and would like to brew something different. Either way, keep the recipes coming!

He is a partial masher, he uses DME, not base grains.

In any case, I would suggest a Barleywine and a Brown.

Use in BW:
1.75 lbs. British Brown malt
13.4 oz. Chocolate malt (maybe not all of this...probably not all)
2.5 oz. Black Patent
12.5 oz. Roasted Barley (maybe not all of this...probably not all)
4.6 oz. Special B
4.7 oz. Victory malt
1/2 lbs. Biscuit malt
8.4 oz. Red Wheat
4.6oz C40L
1/2 lbs. Crystal 120 L

Use in Brown:
12.5 oz. Honey Malt 20 L
1/2 lbs. Crystal 40 L
8 oz. Crystal 80 L

If this is a way you want to go, you will need to buy more hops and a lot of DME and Corn Sugar, but we can help you if you like.

If the Barleywine seems too big, then you will need to split into more than 3 beers.

Thanks DKershner! They both sound great! I'll keep these in mind. I have always wanted to make a Barley wine.

Hey, DK I noticed you live in Oregon. I'll be moving to Corvallis next year!

Ahoy hoy!

Corvallis is a college town about 100 miles west of here where it rains constantly and everything is green, all of which I am sure you know. Bend is in the high desert, is a resort area, and experiences 200+ days of sunshine a year.

Oregon is a varied, very nice place. Welcome.

I'm just moving to Corvallis for college. I have always wanted to see Oregon. It looks BEAUTIFUL. Can't wait to get out there!

I'm just moving to Corvallis for college. I have always wanted to see Oregon. It looks BEAUTIFUL. Can't wait to get out there!

Well, you picked the wrong school, but have fun anyway. Make sure to visit Eugene to see a real Oregon University. (Get used to comments like this)

So, I picked the wrong school for football reasons? I don't care about football at all. I'm confused...:confused:

Well, I can always apply to Oregon University in Eugene. There is still time! :D

So, I picked the wrong school for football reasons? I don't care about football at all. I'm confused...:confused:

Well, I can always apply to Oregon University in Eugene. There is still time! :D

Well, it started as football, and applies to everything now.

Really, the choice of school is about your major. If you are business, you should really switch. If you are engineering or agriculture, you are in the right place. If you are anything else...it doesn't really matter.

<---- U of O business/finance major.

Oh, Until other people post up some more recipes, I think I'll go with your barley wine idea. How much DME do I need? Which type of yeast? How much more hops? (Hope not too many!)

Oh, Until other people post up some more recipes, I think I'll go with your barley wine idea. How much DME do I need? Which type of yeast? How much more hops? (Hope not too many!)

Oh, you actually want help with a beer?

Here is a barleywine I made in the past 5 min. I was able to use all the ingredients, but it is a fair amount. It will be more dark and roasty than a barleywine should be. You should probably add another hop to the 90min addition, maybe an ounce of something with high AA%.

Beer
American Barleywine

Type: Partial Mash
Date: 9/29/2010
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: You
Boil Size: 3.00 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: 10gal Batch Slampbrewery
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 82.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 47.17 %
1.75 lb Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 16.51 %
0.50 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 4.72 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 4.72 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.72 %
0.50 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.72 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 75L (75.0 SRM) Grain 2.36 %
0.25 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 2.36 %
0.25 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2.36 %
0.10 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 0.94 %
0.50 oz Centennial [11.50 %] (90 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 9.1 IBU
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (90 min) Hops 10.4 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [4.70 %] (30 min) Hops 2.4 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.70 %] (20 min) Hops 2.3 IBU
1.00 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 9.43 %
2 Pkgs Safale 56 (US-05) (DCL) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.078 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.86 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 24.3 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 36.1 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Light Body Total Grain Weight: 4.60 lb
Sparge Water: 2.11 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Light Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Saccharification Add 5.75 qt of water at 161.9 F 150.0 F
10 min Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F

Mash Notes: Temperature mash for use when mashing in a brew pot over a heat source such as the stove. Use heat to maintain desired temperature during the mash.
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 3.8 oz Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Thanks DK. I think I'll add 1 oz. of Summit hops. How could I turn this into a more "traditional" Barley wine? One that is not so dark and roasty. I guess I could just brew it as is and see how it turns out?

Thanks DK. I think I'll add 1 oz. of Summit hops. How could I turn this into a more "traditional" Barley wine? One that is not so dark and roasty. I guess I could just brew it as is and see how it turns out?

No black patent, lighter on the chocolate, lighter on all the other specialties or many just choose a few.

Barleywines are pretty flexible though, they can taste very different from one another. The only common variable is BIG BEER and complex.

Hmmm...Every American Barley wine recipe I look at has WAY less ingredients than mine. Perhaps I should just give this one a go. I'm not really looking to brew something similar to a stout. I am really going for that American barley wine flavor.

Decisions, Decisions...

I could cut back on some of the ingredient amounts and eliminate the black patent as you've suggested. I don't know!

maybe the best thing would be to just brew with what I have. If it comes out roasty then it comes out roasty. UGH!!!

We'll see. I'm off to research more recipes.

It would be nice if I could find a FFF's Behemoth clone. Then I can have some kind of reference.

Hmmm...Every American Barley wine recipe I look at has WAY less ingredients than mine. Perhaps I should just give this one a go. I'm not really looking to brew something similar to a stout. I am really going for that American barley wine flavor.

Decisions, Decisions...

I could cut back on some of the ingredient amounts and eliminate the black patent as you've suggested. I don't know!

maybe the best thing would be to just brew with what I have. If it comes out roasty then it comes out roasty. UGH!!!

We'll see. I'm off to research more recipes.

It would be nice if I could find a FFF's Behemoth clone. Then I can have some kind of reference.

Every type of beer has less ingredients than a kitchen sink brew, but hey, how else are you going to clear out the cupboards?

Well then perhaps brew one Barlywine like:

15lbs of Light DME
.5 Crystal 40
2 oz Special B

.5 oz Nugget FWH
.5 oz Willamette @ 30
maybe more Willamette? Good for English Barley Wine...
this should get you a OG of 1.104

And then an American Brown like:
5 lbs Light DME
2 lbs Amber DME
4 oz Victory (or all of it)
1 lb British Brown
8 oz Crystal 80

.5 oz Centennial FWH
.5 oz Cascade @ 45
This should give you an OG of 1.056

FWH - First Wort Hopped...you put the hops in the kettle before you boil creating a smooth bitterness and excellent flavor while getting all the bitterness you can. I recommend this.

Those are two beers I see at least. Of course its going to run you $$ for the Barley Wine. If you were an all grainer you could actually turn this into a partigyle which I've ALWAYS wanted to try! That's when you use the second runnings for a second beer.

Here's a few, one Yank, one Brit, one Belgian.

1. American Amber Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

10-B American Ale, American Amber Ale

Min OG: 1.045 Max OG: 1.060
Min IBU: 25 Max IBU: 40
Min Clr: 10 Max Clr: 17 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 6.75
Anticipated OG: 1.055 Plato: 13.64
Anticipated SRM: 13.0
Anticipated IBU: 31.2
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
3.7 0.25 lbs. Crystal 120L UK 1.033 120
7.4 0.50 lbs. Crystal 80L USA 1.033 80
88.9 6.00 lbs. Briess DME- Gold USA 1.043 8

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
0.50 oz. Nugget Pellet 13.00 31.2 60 min.
0.50 oz. Centennial Pellet 10.50 0.0 0 min.
0.50 oz. Cascade Plug 5.75 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

DCL Yeast S-05 SafAle American Ale

2. English Brown Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

11-B English Brown Ale, Southern Brown

Min OG: 1.033 Max OG: 1.042
Min IBU: 12 Max IBU: 20
Min Clr: 19 Max Clr: 35 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Total Extract (Lbs): 5.50
Anticipated OG: 1.042 Plato: 10.42
Anticipated SRM: 22.7
Anticipated IBU: 17.7

Grain/Extract/Sugar

72.7 4.00 lbs. Briess DME- Gold USA 1.043 8
9.1 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L USA 1.034 40
9.1 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt USA 1.029 350
9.1 0.50 lbs. Brown Malt UK 1.035 74

Hops

0.50 oz. Fuggle Pellet 4.75 11.7 60 min.
0.50 oz. Fuggle Pellet 4.75 6.0 30 min.

Yeast
-----

DCL Yeast S-04 SafAle English Ale

3. Belgian Dark

A ProMash Recipe Report

18-E Belgian Strong Ale, Belgian Dark Strong Ale

Min OG: 1.075 Max OG: 1.110
Min IBU: 20 Max IBU: 35
Min Clr: 12 Max Clr: 22 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Total Extract (Lbs): 10.60
Anticipated OG: 1.087 Plato: 20.85
Anticipated SRM: 12.7
Anticipated IBU: 27.4

Grain/Extract/Sugar

66.0 7.00 lbs. Briess DME- Pilsner USA 1.043 2
18.9 2.00 lbs. Turbinado Sugar Generic 1.046 0
4.7 0.50 lbs. Brown Malt UK 1.035 74
2.7 0.29 lbs. Special B Belgium 1.031 147
3.0 0.31 lbs. Victory Malt USA 1.034 28
4.7 0.50 lbs. Biscuit Malt Belgium 1.035 24

Hops

1.00 oz. Styrian Goldings Pellet 5.25 21.8 60 min.
0.50 oz. Styrian Goldings Pellet 5.25 5.6 30 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes

NOTE: I haven't tried any of these. Just thinking out loud. :mug:

Cheers,

Bob

Hey DK, I think I'm gonna go ahead and brew the recipe you came up with. A couple things though. You didn't use all the ingredients. You didn't use the Crystal 40 or 80. You listed Crystal 75 L as an ingredient but I don't have any 75 L. You also left out the honey malt and roasted barley. I'm not worried about the roasted barley. Don't think I want to use that in a barley wine. I also have some candied orange peel. I don't know if that would work well in a barley wine or not. probably not.

Recipe looks good though. Did you intentionally leave these ingredients out? let me know. Perhaps we can find a way to work them in. Thanks for all your help!

I know you want to use up all your ingredients, but don't be too tempted to put them all in one beer. Such "kitchen sink" beers have a tendency toward "meh". Not to slam DK or anything! His take is as good as any I'm likely to concoct.

With that range of ingredients, I'd rather get a bunch of batches in the pipeline than risk a "meh" beer using them all at once. Even though they're crushed, those grains will keep for a while, so long as they're kept dry and as free of air as possible.

Cheers,

Bob

Well, I have them in zip lock bags in the fridge. I have heard that is good and I have heard that is bad.

How long have they been in there? I'd get 'em out of there and put them in a cool, dry place pronto. If your storage area is 100F+, that's bad. But if it's dry, it's not as bad as the fridge.

Moisture is your bane with storing milled grain. That's what makes it go slack and useless.

Bob

I know you want to use up all your ingredients, but don't be too tempted to put them all in one beer. Such "kitchen sink" beers have a tendency toward "meh". Not to slam DK or anything! His take is as good as any I'm likely to concoct.

No offense taken, and I agree with you. Kitchen sink beers do have some fairly unknown characters.

In any case Eon, answering your questions. C75 is my C80, you can replace straight across. You are right on that I didn't quite use everything, just as much as I thought I could possibly fit in a single recipe.

If you want to do it, go for it! I think general wisdom would say you might have a better beer if you used less grains and more DME though. But who knows...no one has made a beer exactly like it, that is near guaranteed.

EDIT: Oh, and Bob's beers would get you that more traditional flavor of a barleywine. The american one with some extra DME tossed in and maybe a bit more crystal would be somewhat close to what the description of that beer you like is, although I have never had it.

Hey DK, I re-worked the recipe a bit. Here is what I got using Beer calculus:

OG 1.074
FG 1.020

21* SRM

70.3 IBUs

7.2% ABV
---------------------------------------------
5.00 lb Light DME
0.50 lb Biscuit Malt
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L
0.50 lb Red Wheat
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
0.50 lb Gambrinius Honey Malt - 20L
0.25 lb Special B Malt
0.25 lb Victory Malt

0.50 oz Centennial @ 90 min (First Wort Hop)
1.00 oz Summit @ 90 min
0.50 oz Nugget @ 90 min
0.50 oz Willamette @ 30 min
0.50 oz Cascade @ 20 min

1.00 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose)

2 Pkgs Safale US-05

I pretty much took out all the grain that would give it a roasty flavor. Took out the Black patent, the Chocolate malt, and the Brown malt. Added some Honey malt. Added the Crystal 40 and replaced the crystal 75 with crystal 80. Hopefully this will help me lean towards the more traditional Barley wine flavors.

When I tried Behemoth barley wine it was sweet caramel, burnt sugars, dark fruits, and a tad boozy. Not too much, it was smooth. I don't know if that's what all barley wines are like, but it was DELICIOUS!

Still only at 7.2% ABV. Is there anyway to get this thing up to 11%? Maybe 9.5% at the lowest.

Also, I plan on letting this Barley wine age for awhile. Probably age in the bottle for
at least 1 year.

Let me know if you see anymore ways to work this recipe. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it!

Thanks electric. If I up my DME I'll have to up the hops. What's the average IBU range for a Barley wine? something like 50-100 IBU? I was thinking around 80 IBUs. What do you think?

I was thinking today. I can only do 3 gallon boils in my brew pot. Is it still ok for me to use 10 pounds of DME?

80 IBUs would be good for something that big.

As far as size, you have 2 options.

1. Do a 3 gallon boil and add water at the end *this will mess up your hop utilization a bit, but a lot of people swear its fine.

2. Only do a 2 Gallon batch, in which case all the number you have formulated would have to be recalculated...

Do you have a second 3 gallon pot you could do two boils? Then you could just half the recipe.

Well, I'm gonna just do the 3 gallon boil as usual. Also, I think I'm gonna stick with 57 IBUs. I'm gonna need to buy a ton more hops to get this up to 80. I dont know, maybe I'll change my mind! :)

Back