Quantcast

What to do with these Hops

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Sherpa FE

The < 1% Club
Joined
Oct 20, 2007
Messages
816
Reaction score
19
Location
Blairsville
OK, so what do you do with;

Willamette hops
Crystal Hops
Liberty Hops
Sterling Hops
Summit Hops

I really like Hefe Weizens, Beligain Wit's, and I definately want to try an IPA, and a stout..
Any suggestions??

thanks
 

McKBrew

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2006
Messages
8,186
Reaction score
39
Location
Hayden
Send me a PM and I'll give you shipping information to my house.
With that many hops, the possibilities are endless.
 

Onescalerguy

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2006
Messages
453
Reaction score
20
Location
Craig,Alaska
I inventoried my hops today..2.5 lbs of assorted varieties(half cascade)and felt pretty good about it......now i don't.Thanks Sherpa.
Cheers:mug:
 

kenche

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2007
Messages
307
Reaction score
2
Location
Vancouver, B.C.
Well first off, you don't be an a$$ and create a pointless post that has no other objective than to make others feel jealous about your hop stash (and no, I am not one of those; 7lbs)

I am sure that you know exactly what you plan to do with those hops.
 
OP
Sherpa FE

Sherpa FE

The < 1% Club
Joined
Oct 20, 2007
Messages
816
Reaction score
19
Location
Blairsville
kenche said:
Well first off, you don't be an a$$ and create a pointless post that has no other objective than to make others feel jealous about your hop stash (and no, I am not one of those; 7lbs)

I am sure that you know exactly what you plan to do with those hops.
Relax Killer,
I actually have no idea what to do with them. I am new to brewing, the beer recipes that I like to brew do not call for these, so I am basically asking, like I said in the OP, that I am looking for ideas for beers to brew, or which hops to use to substitute the beers that I do like.

As far as posting to get a rise out of people, I assure you that is not the case.
If I posted a picture, would it be any different than somone posting pics of a Brutus set-up or a new shiny 100 gallon set-up?
I guess some people get offened no matter what you post.

Take a chill.
 

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jun 4, 2006
Messages
74,435
Reaction score
12,054
Location
UP/Snowbird in Florida
Well, you have the makings of just about anything you can think of! I've never used Sterling, but I'm going to use them in my cream ale this spring since they are available, and the Saaz I usually use isn't!

I'm not a big stout fan (and I've never made one) but I'm sure you can make just about anything you'd like with that supply! Nice score!
 

HBDrinker008

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2007
Messages
125
Reaction score
2
Well first off, you don't be an a$$ and create a pointless post that has no other objective than to make others feel jealous about your hop stash
Settle down or at least put a smiley in there so people know your are joking.
 

TexLaw

Here's Lookin' Atcha!
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Sep 19, 2007
Messages
3,673
Reaction score
36
Location
Houston, Texas
You can do anything you mentioned with that hop supply.

Whatever you do, use them. If you are going to buy several pounds of hops, you better use them, especially the way things are now.

And, don't get on Kenche's back so much. There are a lot of frustrated homebrewers out there, right now, trying to find the hops they want. And, there are a lot of others shaking around their huge inventory. The two groups do not mix too well. If I were looking for a particular hop, the last thing I would want to see is some dude wagging a pound of it around and saying "I bought all this, but I don't know what to do with it."


TL
 

ohiobrewtus

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2006
Messages
7,762
Reaction score
72
Location
Ohio
With that inventory, there aren't many styles that you can't brew.
 

discgolfin

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2007
Messages
615
Reaction score
5
Location
Chicago, Il.
Sherpa FE said:
OK, so what do you do with;

Willamette hops ( 2 lbs )
Crystal Hops ( 2 lbs )
Liberty Hops ( 1 lbs )
Sterling Hops ( 1 lbs )
Summit Hops ( 1 lbs )

I really like Hefe Weizens, Beligain Wit's, and I definately want to try an IPA, and a stout..
Any suggestions??

thanks

well dont complain
https://commerce.peak.org/vh/f/fres...all&template=Templates/hops_storebuilder.html

fresh hops has all of these..hmm wonder where he got them all from??

Just sack up and buy some yourself..
If he had said I have 1# fuggles, 1# Sazz, 1# of simcoe, 1# of Kent Goldings:rockin:

well than yep hes an a$$:D

Jay
 

discgolfin

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2007
Messages
615
Reaction score
5
Location
Chicago, Il.
I would say Summit is great for IPA..I have some myself and heard its a cascade ish with some citrisy notes. Yummy


Willamatte from my understanding is a decent replacement for fuggles..so Elnglish Ales and English aroma hop.

I have not used crystal or sterling but liberty can be used for a number of beers.

Hope this helps!!

If you search hard enough you can find most hops..list above is a challange for me..however more beer did have some east kent goldings..hint hint.

Jay
 
OP
Sherpa FE

Sherpa FE

The < 1% Club
Joined
Oct 20, 2007
Messages
816
Reaction score
19
Location
Blairsville
TexLaw said:
You can do anything you mentioned with that hop supply.

Whatever you do, use them. If you are going to buy several pounds of hops, you better use them, especially the way things are now.

And, don't get on Kenche's back so much. There are a lot of frustrated homebrewers out there, right now, trying to find the hops they want. And, there are a lot of others shaking around their huge inventory. The two groups do not mix too well. If I were looking for a particular hop, the last thing I would want to see is some dude wagging a pound of it around and saying "I bought all this, but I don't know what to do with it."


TL
Tex,
You are right and I did not think of that. I did not mean that in any way. I guess I could have worded it a lot better, I will modify the OP.
 
OP
Sherpa FE

Sherpa FE

The < 1% Club
Joined
Oct 20, 2007
Messages
816
Reaction score
19
Location
Blairsville
discgolfin said:
I would say Summit is great for IPA..I have some myself and heard its a cascade ish with some citrisy notes. Yummy


Willamatte from my understanding is a decent replacement for fuggles..so Elnglish Ales and English aroma hop.

I have not used crystal or sterling but liberty can be used for a number of beers.

Hope this helps!!

If you search hard enough you can find most hops..list above is a challange for me..however more beer did have some east kent goldings..hint hint.

Jay

Thanks for the tips, I will try them. I am also trying to see what a good substitute would be for EKG, for a Blue Moon clone. Any ideas??
 

discgolfin

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2007
Messages
615
Reaction score
5
Location
Chicago, Il.
Sherpa FE said:
Thanks for the tips, I will try them. I am also trying to see what a good substitute would be for EKG, for a Blue Moon clone. Any ideas??

I don't know of a blue moon clone that uses EKG..I have seen cascade..it should have litle bittering properties and some flavor. I would use cascade in blue moon as I have seen and done..summit would work well..but use a lot less and keep the IBU down.

HMM??? that makes me thinking summit would work nice with a wit as well..from what people say it had a fruity citrusy almost tangerine aroma..mmmm that would go nice with a wit IMO.

Jay
 
OP
Sherpa FE

Sherpa FE

The < 1% Club
Joined
Oct 20, 2007
Messages
816
Reaction score
19
Location
Blairsville
discgolfin said:
I don't know of a blue moon clone that uses EKG..I have seen cascade..it should have litle bittering properties and some flavor. I would use cascade in blue moon as I have seen and done..summit would work well..but use a lot less and keep the IBU down.

HMM??? that makes me thinking summit would work nice with a wit as well..from what people say it had a fruity citrusy almost tangerine aroma..mmmm that would go nice with a wit IMO.

Jay
Yes it does, I noticed it almost smelled like grapefruit.
I was thinking of using it in the Belgian.
 

DeathBrewer

Maniacally Malty
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Apr 9, 2007
Messages
21,788
Reaction score
314
Location
Oakland, CA
i've been meaning to try a hefeweizen with liberty...that may be good.

The sterling you could definitely use in a hefe, as well, probably even go better with a wit.

i'd try the summit in an IPA.

The willamette and the liberty would both go great in a stout.

i don't really like cascade, sorry.
 

discgolfin

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2007
Messages
615
Reaction score
5
Location
Chicago, Il.
Sherpa FE said:
Yes it does, I noticed it almost smelled like grapefruit.
I was thinking of using it in the Belgian.

I have seen three different blue moon clones..none have EKG..all three used cascade..summit would work IMO.


Jay
 

kenche

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2007
Messages
307
Reaction score
2
Location
Vancouver, B.C.
Sherpa FE said:
Tex,
You are right and I did not think of that. I did not mean that in any way. I guess I could have worded it a lot better, I will modify the OP.
Well, I could have worded my response a little better too. My apologies, your question seems sincere.

I find it a little classless when people try to make others feel bad by flaunting their own good fortunes. Now showing off a picture of a kegerator or brew scultpure is different. That is an expression of pride in one's accomplishments.
 
OP
Sherpa FE

Sherpa FE

The < 1% Club
Joined
Oct 20, 2007
Messages
816
Reaction score
19
Location
Blairsville
kenche said:
Well, I could have worded my response a little better too. My apologies, your question seems sincere.

I find it a little classless when people try to make others feel bad by flaunting their own good fortunes. Now showing off a picture of a kegerator or brew scultpure is different. That is an expression of pride in one's accomplishments.
Kenche,
Good enough, and I apologize to you and to anyone that was offended. I also forgot to mention that I stock for my Father and my Father in Law, who are also both brewers.

Now lets get to brewing....

Kenche, below are the links to my keggerator :D

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=7262&limit=recent

Josh
 

discgolfin

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2007
Messages
615
Reaction score
5
Location
Chicago, Il.
Sherpa FE said:
Yes it does, I noticed it almost smelled like grapefruit.
I was thinking of using it in the Belgian.
EKG
Used For: General purpose hops for bittering/finishing all British Ales
Aroma: Floral, aromatic, earthy, slightly sweet spicy flavor
Substitutes: Fuggles, BC Goldings

Cascade
Use For: American ales and lagers
Aroma: Strong spicy, floral, grapefriut character
Substitutes: Centennial

Not to be a smart ass but cascade is all grapefruit..EKG IMO is more spicy, no that it wouldnt work for a wit, but cascade is signature grapefruit .

J
 
OP
Sherpa FE

Sherpa FE

The < 1% Club
Joined
Oct 20, 2007
Messages
816
Reaction score
19
Location
Blairsville
discgolfin said:
EKG
Used For: General purpose hops for bittering/finishing all British Ales
Aroma: Floral, aromatic, earthy, slightly sweet spicy flavor
Substitutes: Fuggles, BC Goldings

Cascade
Use For: American ales and lagers
Aroma: Strong spicy, floral, grapefriut character
Substitutes: Centennial

Not to be a smart ass but cascade is all grapefruit..EKG IMO is more spicy, no that it wouldnt work for a wit, but cascade is signature grapefruit .

J
I understand, I was talking about the Summit Hops having the grapefruit smell.
 

discgolfin

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2007
Messages
615
Reaction score
5
Location
Chicago, Il.
gothcha..I used Summit in a pale ale today..smelled great. at 16.5% AA I can use a lot less..seems like at close sub for cascade or cenntennial..a bit more tangernine citrus is what I have been told

Jay
 

TexLaw

Here's Lookin' Atcha!
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Sep 19, 2007
Messages
3,673
Reaction score
36
Location
Houston, Texas
Sherpa FE said:
Tex,
You are right and I did not think of that. I did not mean that in any way. I guess I could have worded it a lot better, I will modify the OP.
Don't sweat it. I was in a bit of a grumpy mood, myself. :) I apologize for jumping on you so quickly.

You have some very versatile hops, there. As others pointed out, the Summit belongs in a pale ale of some sort, but it also can be useful in a minor role for any beer that likes a bit of citrus. I've never used Summit, but I just got some, and I like what I smell. With its high AA%, I expect you can also use it to bitter anything, as the small amount required should not signficantly affect the flavor or aroma profile.

Liberty and Willamette work well in any American, British, or German style. Crystal works well in any American style or German style with an American twist. Any of those work well in a Bohemian Pilsner, as well.

Sterling is about to be one of my favorite hops. It's great for German, British, and even some Belgian styles. It can add a bit of floral complexity to an American style, as well. It also seems to have a smooth, clean bitterness and enough AA% to be useful for bittering.

Again, in short, you can do just about anything you want there.


TL
 
Top