What to do with the priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I do with the priming sugar?

• Prime your bottles with it

• Toss it into the wort and just be done with it

• Save it "just in case" since it's conveniently packaged in the 5 ounce bag

• Contribute it to Nader's 2008 campaign

• Other (please explain below)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I got a kit from Northernbrewer. They kindly included 5 ounces of priming sugar, but I prefer using DME for priming, so what should I do with the spare dextrose?

Definitely save it. You never know when some situation will come up when you need it. I've been there; it sucks.

Why use sugar for priming. It has no place in brewing IMO. Put that shyte on your corn flakes. That's just one EAC to another. But opinions are like a**holes, Everyones got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.:ban:

p.s.

EAC shirts are in. If anyone's interested PM me. Get your own denim shirt w/ official crest embroidered over pocket.

I run an embroidery house and I get bored during the winter...

CMB_2006 said:
Why use sugar for priming. It has no place in brewing IMO. Put that shyte on your corn flakes. That's just one EAC to another. But opinions are like a**holes, Everyones got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.:ban:

p.s.

EAC shirts are in. If anyone's interested PM me. Get your own denim shirt w/ official crest embroidered over pocket.

I run an embroidery house and I get bored during the winter...

yeah I was gonna say cereal too . . . I'm a DME guy

:off: Btw post some photos of the EAC shirt:off:

When I bottle I use 1¼ cups of DME dissolved in 2 cups of water. Boil for 5-10 minutes and mix w/ batch as you siphon back to your bottling bucket (or carboy in my case). That way you get a good, even mixture.

It follows Reinheitsgebot, but if you don't care about that, it adds sweetness but no flavor to any variety of beverages or cereals, I use it for my tea.

beer4breakfast said:
How do you prime with DME? Make a small volume of wort and mix it with the beer in your bottling bucket? How much to use? What target gravity? Does it taste better than using sugar, or is it a religious thing?

It's such a tiny amount that I don't think it really makes much difference either way. I have used just about everything under the sun to prime my beers: dextrose, molasses, brown sugar, and DME. The major difference I've heard of with DME is that it takes longer to carbonate, but I haven't noticed a big difference with that either.

Heh, and yes, certain EACs are religious about DME. I can only aspire to that level of pickiness; *sigh* someday.

I've never thought of that.....corn sugar will add sweetness but not taste to your brews. Maybe that's why I can never seem to get a maltier brew from my kegs as I do with that from bottling......Is there, at any point, a way to add the corn sugar to the kegs AND condition using gas to get a maltier beer without the sacrifice of lessening the hops and using more D or L ME's????

Corn sugar won't add sweetness, and it definitely won't add maltiness. It is pretty much 100% fermentable, so it just adds alcohol without adding any body. The problem is that it gives a cidery flavor to the beer if you use more than just a little, which is generally not desirable. That's why it's normally only used for bottle-carbonation in small 5oz amounts.

thanks. cleared that up. But what if you wanted to add the maltiness more so, what could you add besides cranking up the LME or DME when making wort?

Does anyone think there's any difference in using Light DME or Extra Light DME? I was running over to the LHBS this afternoon and was going to pick some up.

Ize

For priming, with such a small amount, I wouldn't think it would make much difference, except maybe a TINY difference in color.

That's what I thought. I'll probably get the extra light if they have it, light if they don't. They don't order new supplies very often so i'll probably have to take what I can get. (It's brewing supplies in a liquor store, but they DO have an awesome beer selection, so I may have to shop a bit. :D )

Thanks! :rockin:

Ize

Latest posts

Back