What to do with the Belgian Wit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulasaurus

Reaction score
Well i've had a Belgian Wit in the primary for 11 days now and the airlock has been silent so I plan on doing hydro tests over the next couple days and am wondering if the gravity is safe and leveled off should I bottle, move it to secondary ,or leave it longer in primary?

From what i've gathered a wit is a beer that is best when drank young instead of aging. So does the same hold true for both bottle/bucket aging?

I brewed the Midwest Belgian Wit using Wyeast Activator 3944-
Belgian Witbier w/ Safbrew T-58 dry yeast :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

If the gravity is steady for two days bottle it. Invert the bottles daily and keep them warm, it will be carbed and ready to drink in 4-5 days.

Wits are wonderful when they are fresh.

Like a hefe, be sure to get the yeast in the glass for the most flavor!

Sweet. Thanks for the quick response. Off to acquire said gravity.:ban:

If the gravity is steady for two days bottle it. Invert the bottles daily and keep them warm, it will be carbed and ready to drink in 4-5 days.

Really? As soon as the gravity levels off, you bottle it? I've got my first wit in primary right now. Are you really not supposed to let it condition at all?

Really? As soon as the gravity levels off, you bottle it? I've got my first wit in primary right now. Are you really not supposed to let it condition at all?

I had to go through a thin layer of krausen to get my sample but was most definitely done fermenting according to the reading I got. It would be nice if the karusen could fall completely but but i'll rack from under it and bottle it tonight as long as it remains at a reading of 1.010. I'll report back in 4-5 days on how its coming along.

with a wit, or a hefe, most generally do not secondary because you lose too much yeast, and it doesn't look like a wit or a hefe. its too clear.

both should be cloudy due to yeast in suspension.

the beer conditions in the bottle. secondary is more of a clearing process, although flavors do start to meld and mellow during this time.

Back