What to do with spent grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I give it to a buddy who feeds it to his chickens and then through the miracle of spent beer grain I get eggs back.

I dump my grain abut 20 feet from my garage. The deer have it all cleaned up within two days. It's one of the great things about living in the country.

The May/June 2011 issue of Zymurgy had a cover story on this. If you're an AHA member you can read it online - http://digital.ipcprintservices.com/publication/?i=82759 (login req'd). I've made dog treats from a different but close recipe than in that issue. My friends' dogs loved them. If you have, or know someone who has chickens, they can burn through spent grain very quickly from what I've been told.

The May/June 2011 issue of Zymurgy had a cover story on this. If you're an AHA member you can read it online - http://digital.ipcprintservices.com/publication/?i=82759 (login req'd). I've made dog treats from a different but close recipe than in that issue. My friends' dogs loved them. If you have, or know someone who has chickens, they can burn through spent grain very quickly from what I've been told.

I am a member and will read it since i have no chickens or been blessed with magical deers in south florida lol

I made some awesome bread with mine.

6 cups bread flour
1-2 cups spent grain
2 cups water (adjust so the dough is not too sticky)
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. yeast (bread, not brewers :D )
1/3 cup sugar (I usually use demerara)
1/3 cup oil

Mix and let rest for 10 min. Knead for 5 min. in my Kitchenaid mixer. Let it rise until double. punch it down and separate it into 2 loaves and let it rise again until 1" above the top of the pan. Bake @ 350 for 30-35 min. Enjoy!

I also feed some to the chickens and I threw some in the freezer for later.

I really like all of these ideas...I've been putting it on compose pile but that's gonna change

Here's a great link from spent grain chef. Even one for drying to store them; http://brooklynbrewshop.com/themash/category/spentgrainchef/

Now that's a great link! Thank you.

I bake bread with them, but 15+ lbs of (hydrated) spent grains is still a lot to work into anything.

• I use about 4 cups of spent grain per 6 cups of bread flour and the KitchenAid Mixer all the way.
  • 2-4 tablespoons of vegetable oil
  • 1/2 - 1 tablespoon of salt
  • 2 tablespoons of proofed dry yeast (Sam's Club)
  • Keep the dough very, very moist, it will not be hand knead-able, way too sticky.
  • Let rise, punch down, pour into very well-greased and floured bread tins. About 1/3 full!
  • Let rise again and bake at 400-450°F for 45 minutes (or until done).

The bread will be grayish/brown, dark, airy, with large bubbles, and slightly chewy.
Obviously, those who love Wonder Bread won't like this wonderful bread.

If you want to experiment, hmmm, leave the spent grains out for a day. Or 2 days. They'll start to ferment. This will give your bread another flavor dimension.

I've kept spent grains in a plastic bag in the fridge for 2 weeks and then baked bread with them. I'd say the flavor profile increased subtly into a sour. The bread from that was incredible.

I use mine for bread, too. But I swear by the no-knead recipe popularized by this New York Times article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html

The flavor is worlds better than many other breads. Plus, as brewers, we should all have the patience to let it sit around for 24 hours.

That recipe is very forgiving. You can basically throw 1 cup of grains in there and it will still work.

My wife makes me spent grain granola. And boy is it good. I have some every day for lunch. You should check it out.

I dump my grain abut 20 feet from my garage. The deer have it all cleaned up within two days. It's one of the great things about living in the country.

My deer love it too! When I walk outside I can see their eyes go to my hands to see if there is anything in them.

They sure are fun to watch.

image-3551033472.jpg

Yup, mostly pizza dough. Bread sometimes and dog treats when the hops arent in there. Awesome flavor.

I make these at least 4 batches per month.

4 cups spent grain
2 cups flour
2 eggs
1 cup peanut butter

Mix in standing mixer,
Press into coolie sheet, flatish
Cut into squares with pizza cutter

Sheet in 250 oven 30-35 min
Take out, the treats should be able to break up now, along the previously cut lines

Back in 175 oven 2-3 hrs till nice and dry/crunchy

My dogs prefer the treats from simple grain bills without a lot of roasted malt

They also prefer the treats with about a 2 tsp granulated garlic
And they go bonkers for the treats if I add some leftover bacon grease and maybe even 3-4 strips cooked bacon , crumbled

Do you have a recipe ?

Spent Grain Granola (low fat version)
158 calories per 1/2 cup serving
Tasty and chewy

3 cups of spent grain
2 cups of dry oatmeal (not quick cooking kind, just regular oats)
1/2 cup of wheat germ
1 oz. chopped walnuts
1 1/2 oz. sliced almonds
1/2 cup sucanat
2/3 cup honey
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
1/2 cup of applesauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
salt to taste
1/2 cup raisins
24 dried apricots (cut into small pieces)

1) Preheat oven to 350°F.
2) Mix the following: (spent grain, dry oatmeal, wheat germ, chopped walnuts, sliced almonds)
3) In a sauce pan, heat the sucanat, honey, vanilla extract, applesauce, olive oil, molasses until it's all well combined and the sucanat is melted.
4) Add the sugar mixture from step 3 to the dry ingredients.
5) Spread into a thin layer onto two large cookie sheets.
6) Apply a sprinkle of salt over the ingredients on the cookie sheets.
7) Place coookie sheets on racks in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
8) Remove the cookie sheets and stir the granola on the sheets.
9) Place back in oven on reversed oven racks (the sheet that was on the bottom rack place on the top rack).
10) Bake for another 20 minutes.
11) Remove the cookie sheets and stir the granola on the cookie sheets again as in step 8.
12) Place back in oven on reversed oven racks and bake for another 10 minutes (for a total baking time of 50 minutes) Note: if you want the granola more crunchy bake longer.
13) Remove sheets from oven and cool to room temperature.
14) In bowl, mix granola with raisins and apricots (or any other fruit of your choosing).
15) Store the granola in an airtight container.

Add other fruits and nuts that you might like when you make this.

I give my organic grains to a local farmer which I purchase fresh milk/eggs/meat from.The chickens go nuts for them. I find it impossible to use all of the spent grains for cooking.And I do small BIAB batches. There are alot of good threads about this that can give you many ideas. And if you compost that would be perfect. I got the idea on a thread about of throwing them straight in some bad patches of grass in my yard which filled in in the next month.
Never seen a granola recipe-that looks pretty good.

eric19312 said:

4 cups spent grain
2 cups flour
2 eggs
1 cup peanut butter

Mix in standing mixer,

Take out, the treats should be able to break up now, along the previously cut lines

And they go bonkers for the treats if I add some leftover bacon grease and maybe even 3-4 strips cooked bacon , crumbled

Spoiled @$$ mutts! I'll have to try it. @ big cat- I just press them into a cast iron pan with some flour. They get hard as he'll.

4 cups spent grain
2 cups flour
2 eggs
1 cup peanut butter

Mix in standing mixer,

I made these after brewing today and the dog loved them!
I had a bite too, pretty tasty, a hell of a lot better then a milk bone!LOL

I give it to a buddy who feeds it to his chickens and then through the miracle of spent beer grain I get eggs back.

This...I made a deal with my buddy's chickens to trade for eggs! If I feel like making dog biscuits or bread I pull a little but most goes to the birds.

Back