What to do with some nasty wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Movinfr8

Reaction score
I have 5 gallons of red and 5 gallons of white that turned out barely drinkable, (and I can drink just about anything). If I had a still, and it was legal, I'd probably try to make something else out of it, but I don't, and it is, so I am left to dump it on the ground. Seems kinda sad. Any ideas???
Norm

1. Save it for when relatives or unwanted visitors pop in.
2. Learn to cook with wine (great marinade as well).
3. Dump it.

Ding ding ding. That sounds like a winner!! I hate using good beer to marinate!!!
Thanks!!

...but one rule of the kitchen is you're not supposed to cook with anything you wouldn't drink...

If it tastes bad in the glass it'll taste worse on the meat...;)...trust me...I tried it.

I'm still pushing for the wine tasting party on Skid Row...

Well, how old is the wine, if it' right from the carboy, yes, it's not going to be too good, Bottle and age for at least 6 months. If it's already a year old and is bad, just store it away and forget about it for a few years, It'll probably get better.

You could try reducing it to see if you can make a decent sauce out of it. Try it with a single bottle first to see if it is worth while. I did this with some red I made a couple of years ago and even thought the wine wasn't a hit the sauce was.

Paul

If the wine is really as bad as you say... drain cleaner! I made 5 gallons of watermelon wine that turned out horrible, tasted like an old rind even after it was aged for a year, so I politely made my way to the sink and down it went.

REFERMENT IT! Don't waste the juice. The key is to add it slowly back into the new wine. So what you will want to do is make sure that the next wine is fermenting and the cap has risen, then add it in half gallon increments every day. The key is to make sure you don't add it too soon or too late. You want to do it during the peak of fermentation.

Typically though you want to add back less than 50% so as not to kill the new wine.

This is going to make it so that you can get rid of any vinegar flavors, poor fermentation flavors and change the style (using different yeast possibly). So try this or just dump it as was said above.

use it for cooking or dump it. if it has an infection though of some type that made it taste as nasty as you describe, then cooking with it is also undesirable. try it to saute some mushrooms...cheap if it tastes bad.

+1 on trying to cook with it

Try making some sangria, you never know the fruit + sugar may mask whatever flavor turns you off in the first place

Really need some details before you decide.... has it been aged (as said above)? What are the off flavors? Cooking with low grade ingredients yields low grade food.... every time.

Back