What to do with my Rhizome's?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

limprizol

Reaction score
Today i just ordered two Rhizomes off of the internet. I ordered one cascade and one Willamette. I know they are not supposed to be planted until the spring but i am very impatient. HAHA.

Is it ok to plant them and leave it indoors until then or should i just wait until spring.

Also when the winter comes and they go dormant do the vines that the hops produced die also or they just stop growing.

thank you

Today i just ordered two Rhizomes off of the internet. I ordered one cascade and one Willamette. I know they are not supposed to be planted until the spring but i am very impatient. HAHA.

Is it ok to plant them and leave it indoors until then or should i just wait until spring.

Also when the winter comes and they go dormant do the vines that the hops produced die also or they just stop growing.

thank you

I put mine in the fridge until early spring. It gets warm around here early, but I just waited until the temp was regularly above freezing at night.

Thanks for the info,

I live in NY on Long Island, the climate here should be ok for growing?

I visited England and discovered they make wreaths with hops! But they keep the cones on the vines, so you don't get to brew with them. But it is an awesome experience to enter a room that has a hops wreath over the hearth.

Hops will grow just about anywhere (at least Fuggle & Cascade will), even though most places in the US aren't good for commercial operations.

Keep the rhizomes in a cool dark place until the ground thaws. Nothing to be gained and much to lose by starting them indoors.

I've read of some folks that started them inside that then had them die when they transplanted outside. I'd just keep them in the fridge until the ground thaws. They won't be digging rhizomes yet so you won't be getting them until March most likely.

Don't worry about it getting below freezing after you put them in the ground, they'll do just fine (every one of my 8 rhizomes came up last year and grew well)

Back