What to do with my keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WrongCoastBrewery

Reaction score
So I got a keg for dirt cheap ($20). I already have a 9 gallon SS brew pot and I am considering making a 10gal IGLOO water cooler mash tun. I figured I could use the current brewpot for a hot liquor tank. Do I convert the keg to a keggle or should I make a mash tun out of it instead and just use the current brew kettle?

From an insulation standpoint, the cooler will be better suited to retaining mash temps without a lot of modifications, although you can add insulation to the keg MLT. I believe people have had good results using both types. The keg MLT would be the choice to go with if you plan to direct fire your MLT.

From an insulation standpoint, the cooler will be better suited to retaining mash temps without a lot of modifications, although you can add insulation to the keg MLT. I believe people have had good results using both types. The keg MLT would be the choice to go with if you plan to direct fire your MLT.

Well, I hadnt planned on direct firing it since I only have one burner. But I suppose I could add the valve, sight glass, and thermometer so I could use it for either a hot liquor tank or brew kettle.

Just my .02 but, I would use it as a boil kettle. It allows you to do 10 gallon batches! I have learned that 10 gallons isn't much more work than 5 gallons! Just make sure you are going to like the beer if you are brewing 10 gallons!

Well, I hadnt planned on direct firing it since I only have one burner.

Then you'd probably be better off using it as a BK. The igloo cooler will hold mash temps better with less overall work (i.e., no additional insulation required) and the keggle BK will allow for 10 gallon boils, like the above poster mentioned.

Just my .02 but, I would use it as a boil kettle. It allows you to do 10 gallon batches! I have learned that 10 gallons isn't much more work than 5 gallons! Just make sure you are going to like the beer if you are brewing 10 gallons!

2 cents are always appreciated.

Back