what to do with must

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisr

Reaction score
I had to take some of the must away from my mead. Overflow!
I racked about 4ounce into one of my grolch bottles and put into the freezer to dormant the yeast. Is it usable? I was thinking I was gonna lose liquid when I racked it away fron the yeast and fruit and could use it then. Should I just toss it?
Put a campden tab in it save for later?

Mead was 1 gallon batch.
4lbs clover honey
half an apple sliced
half a lemon sliced
about 25 blueberries
about 25 raisins

4 ounces? You can save it if you want. Just add it back into your must when the fermentation dies down. If it's refridgerated, no need to add campden to it.

Alot of times, I ferment over a gallon in primary, and then when I rack it to secondary, I just put the "leftovers" in a clean sanitized wine bottle with a bung and airlock. Then I use that to "top up" after each racking.

Thanks that is what I was thinking. I kow its not much to save but I figured I would eventually need to top it off which is why I saved it. I sanitized the bottle before racking just in case it was usable.
Thanks again

Back