What to do with keezer lid light?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erikpete18

Reaction score
So this may have an obvious answer I'm just not thinking of, but what do most people do with the lid lights for a keezer conversion? I'm just started working on mine and didn't even consider what to do with it. Specifically, what do people do about the power cord coming from the compressor to the lid? In its current state it doesn't give me enough room to fit the collar between the base and the lid.

For what its worth, these are the options I've been able to come up with, but trying to figure out the easiest way to go. (If it helps I'm doing this on the 14.8 Frigidaire freezer.)
1. Take off the back cover and attempt to disconnect it from the source. Trouble is I'd rather not have to open the back, and once I do I'm not sure there's anything I can actually do once I'm in there.
2. Cut the cord and cap it on the back. Again not really a fan of cutting into the wiring and having my non-existent electrical skills put to the test.
3. Figure out some way to disconnect the cord from the back of the lid housing so I can give myself enough slack to fit the collar. If possible I'd prefer to do this, but the cord seems secured fairly well. I don't care about the light working (since it would only work when the tell control kicked on), but if I didn't have to go cutting wires it would be nice.

So, all you people with your wonderful keezers that I'm trying to make a sub-par copy of, what did you do to get around this that I'm not thinking of?

Mine had enough extra cord tucked into the compressor compartment from which it came, to cut the cable tie and give it some breathing room.

However, cutting and capping is not a problem, even for those with lack of skilz.
Just make sure everything is unplugged - so NO Power is going thru that wire. Then cut the wire, strip it back to expose the individual wires, and twist some wire nuts on them. A little electrical tape to hold the nuts firmly in place and you're done. You DO NOT want to twist them together, you'll have a hot and a neutral there - they should not be mixed. Two wire nuts, three if you have a ground wire. (you do this on the compressor side, the 'light' side can dangle limply - since you cut it, there's no more juice going that way.

no need to expose copper (like the photo) just cap right on the insulation

images

Thanks! That's what I was thinking as far as capping the wire, but I'd rather hear it from someone else before I go trying it! I checked out the compressor compartment and sadly have no extra cord, so its looking like cutting it is the way to go.

My current keezer had a connector for the lid light. It was as easy as pulling the connector apart...done.

Back