What to do with extra hops and grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EzMak24

Reaction score
If I have some extra hops and grains left over after making a brew what would you suggest I do with them? Should I put them in the fridge to keep them fresh or is that a bad idea?

I put my grains in the fridge (not sure why though) and my hops in the freezer. If the grains aren't crushed just put them in any air tight container that you may have.

I put both hops and grains in freezer. My grains are in some Rubbermaid containers that hold about 5lb. each. My hops go into zip top bags and the bags go into a big Tupperware thing.

Grain doesn't need to go in freezer. Hops do.

Grain should be kept in an airtight container. Room temp is OK. This is info from Briess.

including crushed grain? i have some crushed I won't be using for awhile....long time probably....actually, pay it forward thread....

including crushed grain? i have some crushed I won't be using for awhile....long time probably....actually, pay it forward thread....

Yea, that's different. I still wouldn't fret over it, but I would put the crushed grain in a ziplock bag and squeeze all the air I could out of it. I say it would be good then. No idea how long, but I am a very RDWHAHB guy. If more than a year, give it away and get some new stuff when you need it again.

Back