What to do with empty Bud keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NewBrew75

Reaction score
I have a nearly new Bud keg, but I can't trade it in towards a deposit because it doesnt have a registration tag. I've seen people use them for a brew kettle, but I've always wondered how they get the wort out after cooling. I'd think trying to pour it would create a big mess, and using a spigot or siphon would take too much time. First, any suggestions on what I could do with this keg (other than shipping it to you, shipping costs would be too high:)) and also, whats your setup for using it as a brew kettle? Thanks!

most people find someone who can weld onto stainless and put a ball valve on the bottom of it. That's what I've done.

I ferment in a couple of kegs. When It's done I rack the beer out with a siphon and hose all the trub out then fill it up with water and oxy-clean and let it soak.
Then a good scrubbing with a brush and rinse out. Once it's all clean, I fill it up again and boil it for a few minutes just to be sure it's sterilized. I fill it up again with the runnoff from the chiller and add Star-San for a last minute sanitization.
They work great for my 10-12 gallon batches.

I use a modified keg for a boil kettle. Someday I will get a coupler welded in, but I've been using an autosiphon to drain it, and it works just fine... Takes a few minutes to drain, but in that amount of time, I've got my chiller cleaned, etc.

I would go to the closest AB distributor and ask them if you can keep it, If not eat the money and give it back.

I would go to the closest AB distributor and ask them if you can keep it, If not eat the money and give it back.

Why ??? This is why they have the deposit, isn't it? I'm in the same boat with a keg I have. It is a 29.5 liter tall keg. I think I'm going to use it as a fermenter.

Why ??? This is why they have the deposit, isn't it? I'm in the same boat with a keg I have. It is a 29.5 liter tall keg. I think I'm going to use it as a fermenter.

The Deposit essentially is a refundable rental fee. AB still owns the keg and expects it to be returned. If it is not returned it is stolen, Im not saying feds are going to kick down anyones door to retrieve a keg but I myself am not comfortable keeping one unless I know it is Legit.

The Deposit essentially is a refundable rental fee. AB still owns the keg and expects it to be returned. If it is not returned it is stolen, Im not saying feds are going to kick down anyones door to retrieve a keg but I myself am not comfortable keeping one unless I know it is Legit.

AMEN brotha!
Cheers
JJ

If the brewery isn't willing to give the deposit back, then they are essentially saying the deposit is worth more than the keg. The OP, or whoever initially bought the keg, paid a deposit. The OP states that he can't get the deposit back because the keg is missing a tag. If the brewery won't refund the deposit, they don't get their keg back.

That said, I use an autosiphon to drain from my keggle. Eventually I'll install a ball valve on it. Takes a few minutes to drain, but I just let er drain. Technically I probably should cover the keg and fermenter (glass carboy), but I don't. I use a small piece of racking cane at the end of the autosiphon hose with a small hole in the side to aerate.

If the brewery isn't willing to give the deposit back, then they are essentially saying the deposit is worth more than the keg. The OP, or whoever initially bought the keg, paid a deposit. The OP states that he can't get the deposit back because the keg is missing a tag. If the brewery won't refund the deposit, they don't get their keg back.

That said, I use an autosiphon to drain from my keggle. Eventually I'll install a ball valve on it. Takes a few minutes to drain, but I just let er drain. Technically I probably should cover the keg and fermenter (glass carboy), but I don't. I use a small piece of racking cane at the end of the autosiphon hose with a small hole in the side to aerate.

No....It is the person's responsibility to return the keg intact the way it was rented. I don't care if you hit the keg with a city bus it is still owned by the brewery.

i wouldnt give a damn if it was stolen or not. i sure as hell aint gonna pay four or five hundred bucks for one of them kettles they sell at northern brewer. as far as siphoning or using a ball valve i just open my ball valve at about 80 degrees and by the time five or ten gallons is done draining the wort is under 70 degrees and ready for yeast to be pitched

i wouldnt give a damn if it was stolen or not. i sure as hell aint gonna pay four or five hundred bucks for one of them kettles they sell at northern brewer. as far as siphoning or using a ball valve i just open my ball valve at about 80 degrees and by the time five or ten gallons is done draining the wort is under 70 degrees and ready for yeast to be pitched

Amen! I don't care if the car I'm buying is stolen or not, it's cheap! When I'm in the market for a new house, and it's cheaper to just kill the people living in a house I want than it is to buy it from them, that's what I do! Whatever I want in life, I just take it, and I don't worry about who gets hurt in the process.

Am I right?

That is a really sh!tty attitude.

I have a 1/4 barrel that i use as a fermentor. I brew at my friend's house so i used to always be worried about transporting my glass carboy. I want to get 2 more so it is the only thing I use for primaries.

If i had a 15.5 gallon keg i would have to do a 14 gallon batch of apfelwien.

I have a nearly new Bud keg, but I can't trade it in towards a deposit because it doesnt have a registration tag. I've seen people use them for a brew kettle, but I've always wondered how they get the wort out after cooling. I'd think trying to pour it would create a big mess, and using a spigot or siphon would take too much time. First, any suggestions on what I could do with this keg (other than shipping it to you, shipping costs would be too high:)) and also, whats your setup for using it as a brew kettle? Thanks!

No....It is the person's responsibility to return the keg intact the way it was rented. I don't care if you hit the keg with a city bus it is still owned by the brewery.

He can't get his money back. Assuming he checks with the brewery and they won't give cash or credit - why the hell would he give the keg to them gratis? It doesn't sound like the keg was damaged - just missing a tag - documentation. Not sure if the tag is part of a store, state, or brewery policy.

I think you and riclark need to become brew buddies. :tank:

Everyone is picking on this guy. Are all of your kegs legal? Do you have any stolen milk crates? How about your Sanke hand pump taps?

Besides who cares if the cost of bud light has to go up?

Everyone is picking on this guy. Are all of your kegs legal? Do you have any stolen milk crates? How about your Sanke hand pump taps?

Besides who cares if the cost of bud light has to go up?

Stealing is stealing, whether you're stealing from the multinational corporation or your next door neighbor.

But hey, whatever helps you sleep at night.

And yes, my equipment is 100% legally obtained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back