What to do with Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfrazier77

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to get 2 12 ounce bottles of 120 minute IPA. That is all that each person was allowed to buy. I have never had it before.

So here is where I need your help. Is it better to drink them now or to let them, or at least one, to age. Normally I thought that IPAs needed to be drank fresh because hop aroma, flavor, and bitterness fades. But, the bottle said it ages very well.

So, all of you that have had the mystery of 120 Minute IPA, should I enjoy one now and wait on the other, or should I enjoy both now?
Thanks

Personally, I'd drink one and let the other age. No harm and I've heard good aging reviews

If you're usually a fan of big hoppy beer, drink em. If you're like me and aren't a big fan of hops and prefer the maltier side of things, let em sit.

Or drink one, wait until you get two bottles next year and drink the one you save and a new one. Can't go wrong there and you'll find out for sure which way you prefer it.

Have you had fresh/aged DFH Burton Baton before?

They are made to be drank fresh, if you want a beer to age get an expensive RSI or Barelywine. It is an IPA, drink it fresh and enjoy it for what it is.

They are made to be drank fresh, if you want a beer to age get an expensive RSI or Barelywine. It is an IPA, drink it fresh and enjoy it for what it is.

Almost nothing DFH makes is intended to be drank fresh. 120 is an amazing beer with age to it, judging by your statement you've obviously never put one aside.

Almost nothing DFH makes is intended to be drank fresh. 120 is an amazing beer with age to it, judging by your statement you've obviously never put one aside.

I've put some aside...And, It's better fresh. Enjoy them now, in a fancy snifter!
:mug:

When I bought one a few years ago, I don't think it made it a month. Even fresh, it was very, very sweet.

I'd be curious to see what changes from giving it a year or two in the cellar. I'm in the camp of drink one now, save the other, then buy a fresh one later to taste side-by-side with the aged one. Then, presumably take a nap. :drunk:

I've never had their 120 min IPA, I would assume, admittedly out of experience with all other IPA's that drinking it fresh would be the best way to enjoy it. With hop aroma and flavor fading over time one would think....

However if it is great after 5 years then have at it, just seems like it defeats the purpose of an IPA.

I aged a few bottles. They age pretty well. I drank one a few months back. It was a 2013 bottle. I liked it better than when it was fresh. The alcohol bite didn't seem as pronounced.

When I bought one a few years ago, I don't think it made it a month. Even fresh, it was very, very sweet.

I'd be curious to see what changes from giving it a year or two in the cellar. I'm in the camp of drink one now, save the other, then buy a fresh one later to taste side-by-side with the aged one. Then, presumably take a nap. :drunk:

Mine was soooooooo sweet, extremely malty, very bitter and little fresh hop flavor and aroma. Reminded me of a barley wine more than anything.

Yep I'm with everyone else, age one, drink one. Besides they are like 18% ABV, you don't wanna tackle both of those bad boys at once.

I much preferred the 90 minute myself.

I've never had their 120 min IPA, I would assume, admittedly out of experience with all other IPA's that drinking it fresh would be the best way to enjoy it. With hop aroma and flavor fading over time one would think....

However if it is great after 5 years then have at it, just seems like it defeats the purpose of an IPA.

Well considering that the 120 minute IPA has a ABV around 18-20%, it would be good to have it aged a bit.

Mine was soooooooo sweet, extremely malty, very bitter and little fresh hop flavor and aroma. Reminded me of a barley wine more than anything.

Yep I'm with everyone else, age one, drink one. Besides they are like 18% ABV, you don't wanna tackle both of those bad boys at once.

I much preferred the 90 minute myself.

120 feels more like a barleywine to me as well. I prefer to age it for a very long time.

Drink one age one. They age very very well and in fact, I would only ever want to try one fresh once. Since I've done that, every other one is aged. I've given away 3 of the ones I've acquired to people who have never had it. I know one drank one fresh and the other two are being aged.

I don't really prefer my IPAs to be malty, but I did let a 90 min sit for a year before I drank it, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The hops had subsided, and it really let the malt shine through.

I say drink one now and let one age.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The first time i had the 120 minute, it was fresh or at least somewhat fresh. I didn't like it, so i stored the rest away. Then, I had it fresh at the brewery and have been drinking them fresh ever since. Like some have said, when it is aged, it's a lot like drinking a barley wine. But, yeah, i agree, drink one fresh, save one, and then you'll know what you prefer.

Not true. I am obsessed with that beer. Brew it once a year or so. Have a stock pile of the real thing. Have more than a few with years on them. Gets better with age.

Drank fresh they are still delicious though, just a little hot with alcohol in my opinion. I agree with the drink one and age one though. Unless you can/want to get more. Then age a few :).

In another forum I visit, a guy was talking about a 2008 dogfish 120 he opened and said it was amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back