what to do with a quarter barrel.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mximus11

Reaction score
Just like it says, I found a quarter barrel and I didn't know if it was too small to make a boil pot out of it. Any suggestions?

too small for a boil kettle unless you are not doing full boil extract batches.

I have 2 I use as fermentors. Just take the dip tube (spear) out and use a #11 size stopper with a hole for fermenting.

Give a good soak with oxcilean between uses.

There is a retaining ring around the top of the connection that keeps it all together. Before you do anything, make sure it is not pressurized. Then the with some pliers or something try to work the ring out of it's groove. It's kind of a pain but once you get that retaining ring out the whole assembly should slide right out.

There is a retaining ring around the top of the connection that keeps it all together. Before you do anything, make sure it is not pressurized. Then the with some pliers or something try to work the ring out of it's groove. It's kind of a pain but once you get that retaining ring out the whole assembly should slide right out.

I use a screw driver. But, as SH said, make sure there is NO pressure in the keg. Another great thing about using kegs as a fermenter is the fact that you can steam sanitize. After cleaning, pour a gallon of water in it, cover the opening with aluminum foil, set it on your burner, and boil for 15 minutes or so.

Back