what to do with a 7# bucket of mixed LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

bad coffee

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Guys and Girls,
I bought two buckets of extract to make this recipe:https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/easy-chimay-blue-clone-73965/

I made one batch this week, we'll see how it goes. However, since I bought the extract, I've also bought "Brewing like a Monk" and now I know it should be Pils, not munich/amber extract. I've also aquired all the stuff to do all grain, so that's the direction I'm headed.

So what recipe would use a bucket of 3#munich and 4# amber? I'd also like to try the Notty I have in my fridge.

Does anyone have any suggestions, even on beer style? I'm thinking a brown ale or a porter. In the inventory is a bunch of specialty malts, some MO, and maybe a pound or two of 2row.

Any great suggestions?

B

david_42

Reaction score
3# Munich and 4# amber would make a decent amber without any additions. 1/4 lb of chocolate malt and 1/2 C90L would give you a brown.

A few years back, I purchased a 44 lb box of "partial fills" from Williams. That was fun to work through.

OP
bad coffee

bad coffee

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Here's what I'm thinking so far:

8oz aromatic
8oz crystal 10 (I have a bag I need to use up.)

30 min soak in 1/2 gal at 152*.

7 gallon boil, add 1/2 the bucket o extract at 60, the rest at flameout.

28g Challenger 9.1 @60
8g Cascade @5
8g Cascade @0

Notty for the yeast. I know it's not exactly to style. I also have S-05 if it would be exceptionally better.

OG 1.052
37 IBU

What do you experts think? I just have the extract taking up space in my keezer and would like to break in the new burner and brewpot today.

Thanks
B