What to do with 50 lbs of this malt that I bought?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z-bob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
http://twotrackmalting.com/products/ I bought a bag of the "Denhoff" malt, based on the description without looking at the spec sheet, thinking it would be like an American Munich malt 10°L. It would take me a while, but I could use 50 lbs of Munich. Actually it's 22°L. Would that make it a dark American Munich, or a light aromatic malt, or Victory malt, or...? And it seems to still have a little diastatic power. Also think I probably don't want more than a pound of it per 4 or 5 gallons so it doesn't overpower everything, so 50 is going to last me a long time ;)

I don't regret getting it (it was only $38!) but would appreciate some advice how best to use it and in what styles. I'm guessing in the recipe calculators I can substitute 20° American dark Munich and be pretty close.

I think my first attempt will be something Belgian-y, between a dubbel and a golden strong: 80% MFB pils, 10% Denhoff, 10% sugar, and about 35 IBU.

If it is anything like the Breiss Munich 20L, then I would use it very sparingly. The flavor is almost like a caramel malt, at least with that one.

The malt steep (Breiss-ASBC) method will give you a good indication of the flavor contribution, or you can break apart a few grains and see if there is any caramelization of the starch; if so, treat more like a caramel malt.

Edit: Looking at the spec sheet, the kolbach is pretty low and beta glucans are high. If using any sizable amount, I'd think about step mashing.

Last edited:
Their website makes it sound much more like a light munich, which you could use as a large part of the grainbill, but 20L would be better to use as a sub for victory like you mention. The flavor profile they mention makes me lean more towards that than a 20 love caramel malt. Weird that you got something so different from what they've got on their website.

Did you notice the differing color numbers? Web page says 10 lovibond. Spec sheet says 22srm. Not sure what the conversion is but seems bit odd.

Where did you come up with the grain is 22 degrees lovibond? I see where they say it is 22 SRM but that's not quite the same.

From the flavor description it does not sound like an analog for munch 10L, it probably is closer flavorwise to a 20L munich. It seems like you could use a fairly high volume of this grain with pils malt to make a variety of dark lagers. It seems like it would also have a decent place in any other dark beer like brown ale, stout, porter, etc. If it has an intense flavor it might be an interesting contribution in small volume in other beers to add complexity to lighter beers.

Technically, 22.1 SRM is the equivalent of 16.9 Lovibond. Call it 17L. It seems like a rather versatile malt. It actually has enough diastatic power to convert itself, assuring that it in't a caramel/crystal malt. A SMaSH brew would be a good way to chew through it, as well as to discover its characteristics.

Technically, 22.1 SRM is the equivalent of 16.9 Lovibond. Call it 17L. It seems like a rather versatile malt. It actually has enough diastatic power to convert itself, assuring that it in't a caramel/crystal malt. A SMaSH brew would be a good way to chew through it, as well as to discover its characteristics.

I did not know the conversion from SRM to L (was planning to look that up today) 17L is more useful to me, and I can probably use more at a time; I will open the bag tonight and see what it tastes like. :)

Back