what to do with 5# Vienna Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aboantopick

Reaction score
I am brewing a Saison which calls for 5 lbs of Vienna Malt.
The supplier doubled my order so what else can I brew with it?

Edwort's Haus Pale Ale uses 2lbs of Vienna for a 5 gallon batch. This is the beer I plan on doing next.

Or you could use the whole 5lbs for a 2.5 gallon SMASH brew.

Da Yoopers house pale ale uses few lbs of Vienna as well, which is an awesome beer (got another batch in primary now)!!

Agree with the above. Add it instead of crystal to punch up a pale ale or IPA.

If you can lager, try a small batch Vienna recipe using 100% Vienna malt.

Sky is the limit! If it were me, I'd do the pale ale or IPA. I'm never making an IPA again without some portion of Munich or Vienna. Too tasty!

I just bottled a Vienna/Amarillo SMaSH that smelled amazing and tasted great going into the bottles. It's about a month from being "ready," but early indications are I will be making it again (or with a different/similar hop). BTW, that was 1 gallon, Nottingham.

Some good replies! It made me read up on Märtzen- interesting but I think I will lager in the winter even tho I now have a fermentation freezer.

Still must look up the Da Yoopers house and Edwort's Haus Pale Ale
Leaning towards a pale ale
Made me look up what a SMaSH stands for, I found out it is a "single malt and single hop. The acronym was coined by a group of dedicated brewers at the popular home brewing forum HBT."

Back