What to do when

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drahnreb

Reaction score
I'm just brewing my first stack, and I'm not even sure, if it is a cider, fruit wine or nothing at all. The ingredients are 6 litres apple juice, 2,5kg sugar, 10l water* and wild yeast, which reached 4-5% in the sugar solution in which I was growing it. Also I don't know, which yeast it is. There is no foam at the top of the brew and it seems to ferment at all temperatures, whilst being most active at room temperature.

I prepared it at the 20th of October and it is bubbling since the day after. The smell coming from the bucket could be described as applish-foulish, seemingly clearing up during the last days.

How should I proceed now? How long should I leave it in the bucket? Which finishings are possible, for example to carbonate it? Should it mature in the bottles?

Thanks in advance,
a raw recruit :)

_______
* - juice is rather expensive here in Norway and I didn't find a suitable sirup yet, so I wasn't going to spend so much on my first stock when I can't be in the slightest certain that it will turn out to be good

a hydrometer will answer all your questions as to when its done.
the one cider i did i left for 5 weeks in its primary, I also used wine yeast .
I put mine in a keg and carbonated it, but my friend bottled his. and still has a bunch left. I would bottle it. that way you have samples for the long term to see how it proceeds.

Back