What to do? Stuck fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roggae

Reaction score
this thread was inspired by the other stuck fermentation thread out there. i was just wondering if, or when, you all got stuck fermentations what did you do? do you repitch yeast? can you pitch another starter of similar yeast? what do you do?

discuss

My stuck fermentations have always been temperature related. Agitation and warmer temperatures have always done the trick. EXCEPT for one batch that I bottled two weeks ago. I split a 10 gallon batch of pale ale with a friend with an OG of 1.050 or so. Mine stopped at 1.020, his at 1.013. I was pushing the envelope as far as temperatures go, so I warmed it up and shook. Nothing. Repitched yeast and added nutrient. Nothing. Gave up after two weeks and bottled it, leaving it in a safe environment should bottle bombs occur. After 2 weeks it is carbing nicely, so there was obviously active yeast still in there. I still can't figure this one out, but it tastes good.

Wables said:
My stuck fermentations have always been temperature related. Agitation and warmer temperatures have always done the trick. EXCEPT for one batch that I bottled two weeks ago. I split a 10 gallon batch of pale ale with a friend with an OG of 1.050 or so. Mine stopped at 1.020, his at 1.013. I was pushing the envelope as far as temperatures go, so I warmed it up and shook. Nothing. Repitched yeast and added nutrient. Nothing. Gave up after two weeks and bottled it, leaving it in a safe environment should bottle bombs occur. After 2 weeks it is carbing nicely, so there was obviously active yeast still in there. I still can't figure this one out, but it tastes good.

this is how i have always dealt with my missted FG's. i just go with it, bottle at scheduled time. they all taste pretty good to me. :mug:

Back