What to do in Pittsburgh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beesy

Reaction score
Heading to Pittsburgh with a buddy to go see Green Day on Wednesday and wondering if there is anything I must do while there. FYI - we are staying downtown. Heard the Primanti Bros was a place to stop. Anything else fun around downtown?

Went for a baseball game a few weeks ago. We didn't get to see a lot of the city but what we saw we loved. The strip district is where it's at. That's where Primanti Bros. is (although we had ours in the stadium).

I'd totally recommend catching a Pirates game if you're into that sort of thing. It isn't consistently the top-ranked MLB stadium on accident.

I did hear the strip district is happening. We are only going to have a few hours to go explore before the concert, so catching a game is out.

it as kind of by accident, but i saw the Primanti Bros on the Travel Channel the other day. The original one is the one in the strip area, so that's the one we'll be hitting up.

any places to grab a local micro brew near there?

Yep. Hit Primanti's in the Strip. Go get your micro...............but also try a good old Iron City beer. It'll round out yor trip to the 'Burgh and it ain't bad beer, either.

Oh yeah... Primantis is friggin awesome!!! I plan on going there at least a couple times when I am back in town next month to catch a Pirates game.
Went to school in Pittsburgh - that place has a lot of great restaurants and bars, and the people there are die hard about their sports (aka don't go wearing a Browns/Ravens shirt). I once saw a smart ass, preppy, ken doll-of-a-guy wearing another team's jersey talking smack to a bunch of steelers fans between Grant and Liberty Streets... yeah he got his ass beat by a bunch of beer gutted steeler fans with igloo coolers. Not pretty.

If you bring something to take yeast home in, and email in advance, East End will give you a free fill up of some single-cells.

You should get at least a few growlers too. The Kvass is awesome.

Primanti rules. You have to go to the original location late night though.

Yeah, we came from out of town for Brewers-Pirates baseball. We found East End, it was great. I don't know if you'd be able to fit it into your schedule, but, if so, do it.

went to the original primanti bros. food awesome. staff sucks. Got a little late start and didn't get to venture around for microbrew. Did have a few Augustiner's though. Very tasty. I did like the city and am going to try to get back there this summer for another day trip. great 411 on the local brew with the yeast hook-up. I'd like to get some yeast in PA, stop in WV for some ingredients and make some kind of tri-state brew. would make for a fun time. Oh yea, by he way Green Day firkin' rocked!!! :ban::ban:

Primanti's is an experience to be sure, but if you want fantastic food and great beer, my recommendation is Fathead's in the Southside. It's not too far from downtown and has great sandwiches and one of the better selections in town. Some locals and some imports but all around good tap selection. If you really like belgian food and brews see if you can get to one of the Sharp Edge locations in and around Pburgh they are also really great for beers on tap.

Back