What to do in D.C?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRock

Always Ready
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Any Brew stuff I need to check out while I'm here? Any local brews I should try? Gerat HBS?

The crew will no doubt "Have" to go shopping, so I'll need a diversion. A couple bottles of a local brew would be good after a day of sightseeing.

I'll piggyback on this thread because I was about to ask the same question.

That place does indeed kick serious ass. I've had some amazing beers on tap there. And the pizza rocks too. There's also a great Belgian bar somewhere too that I never got a chance to check out.

Yeah there's a few of those in the DC area. I went to the one on Capitol Hill and killed a few pints while the SWMBO was in a meeting. Beautiful on the inside and decent beers. DFH has a brew pub in Fairfax, which is about a twenty-thirty minute drive away.

No good HBS that I could find nearby. I kept going back to the Birreria Paradiso though - so freaking good, especially if you can go on a happy hour day.

I live about 1/2 a mile from one of the Capitol City Brew Co locations (the Shirlington location), so I'm definitely a regular there, especially on Thursdays because they have $2 pints all day long and 1/2 price appetizers during Happy Hour. Their Amber Waves red ale is my favorite beer there. Unfortunately I haven't been to the Pizzeria place that's mentioned above, but I'll definitely have to check that place out sometime. Another place that usually has a decent selection of local brews on tap is Hardtimes Cafe... The location in College Park usually has something from Clipper City Brewery (Baltimore) and/or Flying Dog Brewery (Frederick, MD).

As for LHBS, I'm not aware of any in the city. Maryland Homebrew is in Columbia, MD which is about half way between DC and Baltimore, they have a pretty good selection and are always very nice and helpful. There's also a very small store that's closer to the city called myLHBS, it's in Falls Church, right across the street from a Dogfish Head Ale House, which would be much closer than driving to the Fairfax DFH.

PM me if you want directions to any of these places.

RFD was good. Great beer selection. +1 on Capital City... they had a beer that was very close to Arrogant Bastard, and a nice English porter.

Bells Two Hearted is everywhere... which is great!

Brasserie Beck has some great Belgians on tap, too. If you eat there, have the mussels and fries (moules frites)... awesome!

What about bottle stores with a wide selection in the metro area? Generally, is there a significant difference in availability (e.g. ABV restrictions), prices and taxes between DC, Maryland and Virginia?

If you are going to be continuing up 95 further north there what I know as the beer mecca about 2 hours away. It is right at the MD/DE line.

Did you ask for the 120? I have seen it many times where the 120 is not on the menu or written on that chalkboard, but they still have it.

Back