What to do about these?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickel78

Reaction score
I am growing my first hop plants this year and everything is going great. I have these extra vines coming out of the main hop plant. I have looked around for the answer and dont know what to do. Are these the sidearms that i leave to grow cones or cut them. I already have a lot of cones growing on what i thought were the sidearms. I know a lot of people say just let everything grow but i just need a little clarification on this

hop1.jpg

The lower sidearms usually don't produce much if at all. I just let them be, they don't do any harm.

I let mine hang, if they are feisty enough they will find the line and go up on their own.

In reality you can trim these. If they aren't going to produce cones they are just going to consume nutrients that could be used to make more cones at the top.

Do not trim, lateral shoots are where you will get your hops from, just train them a bit if you want

Back