What to do about a no-go?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cottonwoodks

Reaction score
I found a whole bunch of frozen cherries in the back of my freezer, so started a 1 gallon batch of cherry wine. Put in all the usual things (including 1 Campden tablet), waited 24 hours, pitched EC1118 like I have with every other wine I've made in the past two years, and . . . . nothing's happening. It's been two days now. The last batch was really slow getting started, because it's been fairly cold in the room where I'm doing wine, but it did start bubbling a little after a day or so, but this once hasn't. Does that mean the yeast is dead, or just waiting for warmer conditions? Any suggestions?

Today (3/11) there were the tiniest amount of bubbles on the surface. I guess I'm hoping that I'm not leaving this open for OTHER organisms to make it all go bad, though at these cold temps, I can't imagine much else growing either.

Last edited:
The room should be 22° C to start, also ensure you are at 10% rs or 21 brix, if so try stirring the batch up, if all else fails pitch 1/4 tsp. of nutrient and 1 gram of yeast and cross fingers

The room should be 22° C to start, also ensure you are at 10% rs or 21 brix, if so try stirring the batch up, if all else fails pitch 1/4 tsp. of nutrient and 1 gram of yeast and cross fingers
Thanks. That's good information for the future (ie, don't start wine when it's really cold.). I'll see if I can find someplace to move it where it'll be warmer.....

i've had good luck with the different varieties of yeast I have used, but it is still possible to get a bad packet or have it go bad sitting. As Coffee 49 said, add more, maybe from a different batch of yeast. Adding more won't make much difference since the yeast will only go so far before the sugar is consumed. Maybe it will go faster with more yeast, but the end result should be the same.

Well...now that it's warmed up some, it's been getting progressively bubblier. I think I'm going to call it good--strain out the cherries and put it in a jug with an air-lock. Thanks!

Back