What to do? A HomeBrew store mess up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CStang67

Reaction score
IMG_1518132059.465203.jpg

So due to a mistake (mine not theirs) my local mixed up parts of two recipes into one bag. No I have this large bag of grain that I am at a loss with what to make with it, so I am putting it to the masses. Bare in mind that I can add to the grain bill but not take away. Here is what's in the bag:

11.5 lbs Maris Otter
6 lbs Wheat Malt (German)
2 lbs 9.6 oz Munich Malt
1 lb 11.2 oz Pilsner 2 row (German)
12 oz Munich Malt 10L
6.1 oz Special B
4 oz Torrified Wheat

Well, I'm guessing you cant make a 10 gal batch, so split it and make two 5 gal batches. You could make 2 different beers with it by using some mild hops with 1 batch and hop the other like an IPA

Although it's a pretty long malt list, they all seem like they'd go well together. I'd go for some simple German hops (Spalt comes to my mind), where I'd try to get a decent bittering addition to stand up to the flavorful malt base, but the clean German hops won't fight with it. Go light on flavor/aroma additions, maybe even skip them altogether. If you do, use the same hops.

Then a clean profile ale yeast. German Ale Wyeast 1007 fermented cool in the 45-50F range comes out quite nicely.

Low mash temp to get a dry finish.

Maybe more specific than you were looking for...

You could just go for broke with a big barley/wheatwine using the whole grist, and you could probably get a solid partigyle to boot. If you're going to split it for two batches, I'm with @eric19312 - splitting it unevenly could allow for a bit more variety, and you should just make what you like. A grist like this seems pretty versatile to me, but maybe that's because I generally enjoy decent levels of wheat in traditionally non-wheated beer styles.

Thanks all, I can do 10 gal batches and have considered both splitting it or going all in on a strong beer. I like the idea of something German but worried that all the maris otter wouldn't fit. I purchased enough grain (bagged correctly) to do two other beers so there is a part of me that wants to try something big that I can age for awhile. Was thinking an English strong that I could drink next winter

Although it's a pretty long malt list, they all seem like they'd go well together. I'd go for some simple German hops (Spalt comes to my mind), where I'd try to get a decent bittering addition to stand up to the flavorful malt base, but the clean German hops won't fight with it. Go light on flavor/aroma additions, maybe even skip them altogether. If you do, use the same hops.

Then a clean profile ale yeast. German Ale Wyeast 1007 fermented cool in the 45-50F range comes out quite nicely.

Low mash temp to get a dry finish.

Maybe more specific than you were looking for...

Would this be like an Alt?

Yes. This is my Dusseldorf Alt recipe, other than the crazy grain bill. I actually do that with just Munich malt. But as I read your list, I was thinking that it would make a great base to go with that yeast and the Spalt hops.

You could just go for broke with a big barley/wheatwine using the whole grist, and you could probably get a solid partigyle to boot. If you're going to split it for two batches, I'm with @eric19312 - splitting it unevenly could allow for a bit more variety, and you should just make what you like. A grist like this seems pretty versatile to me, but maybe that's because I generally enjoy decent levels of wheat in traditionally non-wheated beer styles.

Came here to say this. Do a big beer and a weak beer parti-gyle style.

I just recently did that with my 5 gallon set up, an igloo should be able to hold that grain (I used 22 lbs). Just brew as normal, but no sparge. You'll need so much water to cover the grain you'll have enough just from the mash. Then your sparge becomes a second beer instead of adding to the first.

I did a barley wine and kitchen sink saison for mine.

Age one, drink one. Beer for now and beer for later. Its pretty great.

Thanks for all the input. I have decided to party gal it with an English barleywine from the first running shoes and a pale ale, American or English (have not decided yet) from the second. I was really tempted to do the Alt as its a favourite of mine but I have never done a beer as big as a barleywine and I wanted to try. I will keep this post updated for anyone curious. Thanks again.

Plugging those grains into brewsmith I get a 1.062 OG at 75% efficiency with a 10.5 gallon batch size, but of course I don't know what your efficiency is. At 85% efficiency that would be 1.071 OG.

I think the BJCP guidelines for an alt go up to 1.054 OG so you'd be somewhat over at 75% but IMO I would just make the alt with a higher ABV.

Latest posts

Back