what to buy in bulk?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porterguy

Reaction score
I'm a relative newbie, and I didn't know where else to post this. I'm not even sure it's an answerable question, but...

I plan on trying to stay with mostly AG brewing (got a basic mill for a Fathers Day present).

If I want to stock up on a few "basics" to save $ by buying in bulk, can someone suggest a list of such basics? I brew a lot of wheat beers for my SWIMBO. For myself, I plan on starting to do lots of darker, maltier flavored brews. English milds, bocks, some stouts, maybe some scotch ales. And I LOVE porters.

I haven't made ANY of the darker beers yet, and was hoping somebody with more knowledge than I can read my list and say "You need to stock up on grains X,Y, and Z. And malts A, B, and C.

Thanks!:mug:

I buy a 50# bag of 2 row every other month as my base grain. That's about all I stock up because I usually brew different batches each month, that require different specialty grains. In your case, I would stock up on 2 row and wheat, for swmbo, maybe 10# of Munich for maltier brews and maybe 10# of chocolate for your darker tastes.

grain: 2 row and or marris otter, vienna, white/red wheat, munich, crystal 40, crystal 120, chocolate, and maybe special B. hops: warrior, cascade, EKG, and whatever you like.

Based on the OP, you sound a lot like me. I like to brew a lot of low-to-balanced hop recipes. A lot of maltier german brews. Thus I keep 50-100 pounds of 2-row, a 50 pound sack of Munich, 10 pounds of vienna, 10 pounds of caramunich, 10 pounds of crystal 60.

For hops, I get Magnum, Hallertau, and Tettnang by the pound. Then cascade from my homegrown plants :)

Back