what to buy: 1 big chest freezer or 2 small?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor_M

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First time poster, longtime lurker here trying to figure out my next move. Moderators if this belongs in the fermentation section please move. So I just deposited my tax return check and have decided to use most of it on brewing equipment. I bought a used Sabco brewmagic v350 that was for sale on here late 2011 so I think im set on the brewing side of things so now im looking at temperature control. Originally I was eyeing 20+ cubic foot chest freezers but now im wondering if I should go with a 14 cubic foot possibly 2 of them or maybe a chest freezer and an upright (could be used for a brewhemoth which ill probably get late summer ). If you were in my shoes what would you do? I have about 1200to spend and will likely buy new.

If I had the room and wherewithal to set up two freezers, I would do that. That way you can run beers with different ferm temps, use one as a keezer, etc. I would love to have that sort of set up. Not sure on prices on freezers in that range, but if you can afford it, go for it!

a new 14cu chest freezer runs close to $500
and used chest freezers are a hot commodity so they can be hard to find used and functional.

Yeah, I would go with 2 - flexibility, redundancy, and easier to move smaller units around if needed. If you choose an upright, be aware that in some models the evaporators are the shelves. They can't be moved which will really limit things that can be put inside (like fermenters).

I have a monster 15.4 CF that I got for $50.

I can fit 9 kegs easy, no collar but if I had 2 of the 7 or 8 cf freezers, I bet I would hold at least 1 less keg because of wasted space on humps, in corners, etc.

2 controllers would be nice for lagering, but I don't do much of that, and then you wouldn't really be putting kegs into all of the available space.

Back