what to brew...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jzak09

Reaction score
So I've got a few porters ( one placed 3rd @ AWOG), a pale ale, an IPA, a brown ale. And I can't make a friggin decison on what to brew next. Any ideas?

That's tough, there's so much to choose from. I'd go with something that has water, malted grains, hops, and maybe some yeast. But hey, that's just me. :D

Seriously, I'd go to the nearest craft beer store and try some different styles to see what hits my fancy.

is there anything, You think Im obligated to brew as a not-so-noob? Or what are your must brews?

I'm doing a mild for the first time next week...never done one and I think I've been missing out.

I think, given the styles you've brewed, a Scotch Ale, or maybe a Scottish Ale. I only say that because I'm brewing one up on Saturday, and I'm very excited.

Too many to choose from.

I think an interesting way to improve one's skill at brewing is to attempt to brew delicate beer styles. These delicate styles are often light and have subtle profiles that do not mask off flavors. Special attention to detail must be maintained to achieve premium results. Whereas, a strong malt, or hop profile might mask a slight imperfect to all but the most discerning palate, there is nothing in these delicate styles to hide behind. Mastering a light and delicate profile beer will improve all aspects of the bigger beers when you make them.

just my 2c.

m.

Instead of focusing on AHA styles, why not try to make variants?
Suppose you like American style IPA, and brewed a batch using
Chinook for bittering and flavor, and Cascade for dry hopping.
So you could try an English style, using say Northdown for
bittering, EK Goldings for flavor and dry hopping. Or Northdown,
Northern Brewer and EK Goldings. Or you could invent a new
style, call it "Continental IPA" and bitter with Perle, flavor
with Hallertauer, and dry hop with Saaz. That's the kind of
thing I like to do.

Ray

Latest posts

Back