What to brew next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyg

Reaction score
Boss gave me a $40 gift card to LHBS.
Can't figure out what equipment I would possible need so I figure I will put it toward ingredients.
Problem is I just bottled an oatmeal stout (w/4 oz of lactose)
Therefore I don't need to made a deception cream ale as planned.

I can't seem to come across a good partial mash pale ale or IPA recipe.
I have been trying all types of beers looking for the right one and have nothing.

Any suggestions?

I agree - a rye beer, one way or the other. I'd go heavier on the rye than 5%, personally. (Sorry, Hello!)

:D

Boss gave me a $40 gift card to LHBS.
Can't figure out what equipment I would possible need so I figure I will put it toward ingredients.
Problem is I just bottled an oatmeal stout (w/4 oz of lactose)
Therefore I don't need to made a deception cream ale as planned.

I can't seem to come across a good partial mash pale ale or IPA recipe.
I have been trying all types of beers looking for the right one and have nothing.

Any suggestions?

Why not a Deception Cream ale? That isn't the same as an oatmeal stout, different taste and mouthfeel. If you have enough bottles the Deception is a great one to let sit for a while to let it mellow out. The last 2 bottles of mine that sat for over a year were the best.

On the other hand, I like to let the stouts sit for a while before drinking them but a wheat or pale ale will be ready pretty quickly. I'd vote for a wheat.:fro:

Why not a Deception Cream ale? That isn't the same as an oatmeal stout, different taste and mouthfeel. If you have enough bottles the Deception is a great one to let sit for a while to let it mellow out. The last 2 bottles of mine that sat for over a year were the best.

On the other hand, I like to let the stouts sit for a while before drinking them but a wheat or pale ale will be ready pretty quickly. I'd vote for a wheat.:fro:

My thought was that I just bottled a stout, still have plenty of double- chocolate/coffee oatmeal stout & holiday ale left, all are dark or darkish.

If I brewed a deception it would not be bottled until end of January and would not start drinking until spring.i am also going to try to cut back on week day drinking for the new year.

How ever if it is as good as you say and I can age it, maybe I could make it and it would be a perfect at a few months old!

I have been on a stout making kick since October and am just cannot decide what to make next,
But I guess this happens to everyone, right?

Whenever I can't decide what to brew next I walk into my LHBS and tell the owner I'm looking for inspiration. That has led to some of my favorite brews. If your LHBS has knowledgable employees maybe give that a shot.

Whenever I can't decide what to brew next I walk into my LHBS and tell the owner I'm looking for inspiration. That has led to some of my favorite brews. If your LHBS has knowledgable employees maybe give that a shot.

They have a self of boxed prepared recipes, they also have a webpage full of recipes.
Although all their stouts seem very similar!

But good idea

They have a self of boxed prepared recipes, they also have a webpage full of recipes.
Although all their stouts seem very similar!

But good idea

I also just like asking what the employees favorite recipe at the moment is. At the very least that helps get the creative juices flowing. Keeps me from brewing the same thing over and over.

Back