What to brew for my 1st AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockweezy

Reaction score
I just purchased a 3 tier gravity fed AG brewery off craigslist. Previously I have only extract brewed using a partial mash. I have been reading a lot and think (hopefully) that I know what I am doing. I even had the previous owner give me all his typical temps and methods. However, I read that brewing a brown, porter, or stout is easier for 1st time AG'ers. Is this true? I prefer pale ales and IPA's but want the 1st one to be a success. I plan on brewing on Saturday and cant wait.

My first AG brew was Orfy's Hobgoblin II clone. My second was my own recipe, Helles Yeah! (different from Bobby_M's...I suspect he stole my name ;)). Both turned out spectacular, the Helles a little bit better.

AG is a blast, just try and plan for the next step while you're doing something else (i.e. heat up sparge water at the last 20min of your mash, etc). In the end it gets to be as second-nature as extract or PM brewing.

Oh, yeah, and preheat your mash tun. That will help a LOT in nailing your mash temp. The brewing software does a really great job.

If you want a good PA recipe, try EdWort's Haus Pale (link's in my sig). It's fantastic.

Easier? No, it's not really easier, since the technique is the same. But, darker beers tend to "hide" any mistakes easier than lighter beers.

I say- make what you'd like! If you like pale ales, make Edwort's Haus Pale Ale. If you like IPAs, I have a good recipe (my Dogfish Head clone) that is super easy with only a single infusion mash.

If you're using liquid yeast, make the starter tonight!

May I just say, I thought I knew what I was doing also on my first AG. I was SOOO wrong, Picture Sgt Shultz from Hogan's Hero's.
For my first couple AG batches, it was all about trying to get reality to match with what I thought should be happening, I just hate it when they don't match.
May I recommend that you ensure you have your volume and grain measurements down pat going into the mash, and into your boil pot. Then take good notes on SG at all times, and everything else you can think of, it is always good to be able to go back and review.
Now to answer your question on what to brew, I can't. Brew what you like and as long as you don't get an infection, you WILL make great beer, so make it to your taste.

Back