What to add to new Kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homer

Reaction score
I think I'm gonna order a new Penrose kettle soon, but was wondering if I should have any other fittings welded in by them before shipment. (valve already welded in) Is it wise to have them weld in something so I can install a thermometer or sightglass, or a combo? Or since its mostlikely gonna stay a BK, just leave it as is.

Thanks

So I think I will have a 1/2" fitting welded in offcentered from the valve and a few inches higher than the valve?

If it's a BK, you may want a sightglass.....you could later use it for a hlt if you ever get another.....

Is there any way to add a sight glass to a kettle without welding/drilling a new hole?

I was kind of wondering the same thing, since the kettle I'm getting has a valve installed, couldn't I just unscrew it put in a "T" or something and have the sight glass there?

I was kind of wondering the same thing, since the kettle I'm getting has a valve installed, couldn't I just unscrew it put in a "T" or something and have the sight glass there?

You could, but it will have some limitations. You won't get good volume readings when it's draining, and it will stick out pretty far. A ball valve is a lot of weight to be cantilevering off the end of some plumbing.

For minimizing the number of holes, combining the thermowell and sightglass is a great idea. BobbyM sells some really nice ones- http://www.brewhardware.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&layout=blog&id=5&Itemid=54

How much of a danger is scorching without a clad bottom? Not using it for an MLT, just heating up wort to a boil.

Back