What this look like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neyd3400

Reaction score
We purchased a Chilean juice bucket, Malbec from a local homebrew store in May. I am not sure what my issue is, but I have these floating flakes on top I'm not sure how to get rid off. Please offer suggestions.

I've followed the basic directions, gravity is below 0.996, started then started clearing, added Oak, then Super Kleer (June), then waiting a month, I noticed some floaters. I transferred, saw the floaters again transfered. It's kept in the low 60's in our basement, granted we moved to a new house this year and it's messed of my process. I've done at least 10 wines over the last 6 years and countless kegs of beer. See images.

The wine doesn't taste bad. So I don't think it's a bacteria, but it doesn't taste great, just kind of alright, in not bland and dances a bit on the tongue, which makes me think it's carbed a bit. Maybe it didn't stop fermenting? Is this this wine crystals. I don't know.

Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20211201_003849425.jpg
    PXL_20211201_003849425.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20211201_003840222.jpg
    PXL_20211201_003840222.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
hmmm... That doesn't look good... Looks like "flowers of wine" to me...
https://www.bacchus-barleycorn.com/catalog/article_info.php?articles_id=25
I had it happen to a prickly pear wine that I made. I didn't spot it in time and wasn't able to salvage the batch.

Rack from under the pellicle into a carboy and eliminate as much headspace as possible. It needs oxygen, so get it out of the bucket and into something with minimal head space...

Looks like yeast rafts and a pellicle forming. Definitely does not look like mold, so it’s safe to drink

Wild yeast, bacteria, and or Brett form pellicle. If you didn’t pitch it, it’s an “infection” but that doesn’t mean it will turn out bad

Thanks for the input. I live in MN so it's pretty cold now, I wonder if I rack it in a carboy, add some Camden and then stick it outside to cold crash it. That would work.

Back