What thermostat do you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magno

Sound Level Technician
Reaction score
SWMBO found a decent deal on a chest freezer, and I am trying to figure out the total cost of buying one. What temp controllers do people use? I would like something that can get down to lagering temps, although I will be brewing mostly ales (32 - 68 *F).

I have a Johnson controls, single stage, mechanical, close high, with a temp range of like 0-212F or something like that: about $40. A digital control will give you temp display, but they cost more.

I just realized you want to use this thing for fermenting, not keg chilling. In that case, you'll need a 2-stage control so you can turn on a heat lamp or something like that in the winter, though I have no clue how cld it gets in Austin

Good luck!

I have a Ranco and a Johnson controller. I greatly prefer the digital (Ranco) version. Well worth the extra $20 or so.

I have a Love controller. They only cost about $50, have a nice digital display, and the differential can be set to as narrow as 1 degree F. The only problem is that you have to wire it up, but that's not too difficult if you have even minimal handyman-type skills.

Latest posts

Back