What thermometer are you using?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
I have used several thermometers while brewing and I have had problems with all of them. I started out with a floating thermometer http://www.northernbrewer.com/pics/fullsize/floating thermometer.jpg and used it a couple of times before it broke on the bottom of the kettle, then I tried a dial thermometer http://www.northernbrewer.com/pics/fullsize/large-dial-thermometer.jpg and it just isnt precise enough, Then I went with a digital thermometer Amazon.com: Taylor Digital Cooking Thermometer/Timer: Kitchen & Dining and they work well but are often incorrect and lately I'm thinking I need to calibrate before every use.

So now I'm thinking about buying another thermometer to make sure that my digital thermometer is accurate at every step.

What thermometer do you use?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got two of these:

Trend Bimetal Thermometer 0-250° F 1/4" NPT NEW - eBay (item 380140353323 end time Aug-16-09 11:27:35 PDT)

%21BOwTbIgBWk%7E$%28KGrHgoOKi4EjlLm,3Y5BJwSqkyprw%7E%7E_12.JPG

They have 1/4"NPT threads, which can be easily adapted to 1/2"NPT with a bushing.

Here is another recent thread with some good discussion.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/what-thermometer-should-i-buy-127318/

Possibly more than an other piece of equipment the thermometer follows the "buy cheap, buy twice " rule. Only most brewers buy cheap several times so you have to go with buy cheap, buy twice squared LOL

I have a couple thermometers including some dedicated thermocouple ones. The one I like for a reasonable cost, good accuracy and quick response time right now is this one.
Amazon.com: Taylor Connoisseur Digital Folding Probe Thermometer: Kitchen & Dining

I think I found mine on Ebay for a few dollars less. I can't speak to how it will hold up long term as I haven't had it very long yet, but it seems made well and is very fast coming up to temp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since starting to brew around two years ago, I've read a LOT of thermometer anecdotes, on HBT and several other forums. In the end, I needed a thermometer that was accurate, would yield that accurate reading promptly, and was highly portable (I have to measure temps in several locations because of my brewing setup).

My solution: I bought a Thermapen, the new "splash-proof" model. This is NOT a bargain thermometer; I paid $104 delivered. It is certified & traceable, however, and after using it for over a month and 5 AG brews, I'm thoroughly delighted.

A thermometer this pricey may not be justifiable or needed by every brewer, just as I have no need for kegging or a 3-tier computer controlled brew rig. However, everyone's case is a little different, and I do a lot of cooking and baking, too.....and when viewed in that light, the Thermapen may even be a bargain.

I use a Thermapen too. It's a bit pricey, but I use it for cooking and BBQ'ing too. I have had it for over 5 years now. It's give me super fast readings.

tpen_gallery_a.jpg

Kegs have Blichman Brewmometers and I periodically check accuracy with a lab rod.

Never an issue. If I don't forget to stir.

I have to pipe in here and give a +1 to the thermapen. I bought it just recently and have used it for one batch so far. I can already tell that this was a great purchase. Pricey, but definitely worth it.

Re: thermapen, I have to say that if you're going to spend that kind of $$, and you don't want to have to open the lid of your mash tun every time you want a reading, and you don't want to have to build a bulkhead on the side of the mash tun to stick the probe into...then you'd be better off with a thermocouple. I drilled a small hole in the lid of my MLT, and I just feed the thermocouple through that, which is 30" long. I make sure it's submersed in the mash, then I screw on the lid and I don't have to open it again until the mash is done or I need to adjust the temp.

does anyone use infrared thermometers?

They only measure surface temp, so it would be pretty crappy to measure mash temp with.

Re: thermapen, I have to say that if you're going to spend that kind of $$, and you don't want to have to open the lid of your mash tun every time you want a reading, and you don't want to have to build a bulkhead on the side of the mash tun to stick the probe into...then you'd be better off with a thermocouple. I drilled a small hole in the lid of my MLT, and I just feed the thermocouple through that, which is 30" long. I make sure it's submersed in the mash, then I screw on the lid and I don't have to open it again until the mash is done or I need to adjust the temp.

+10 The shortcoming of the Thermapen thing, other than the high cost, is the permanently attached short probe. I prefer the interchangeable "k" probes. Much more versatile IMO.

The infra red thermometers only read surface temperatures as mentioned and reflective surfaces can interfere with readings. They are handy for checking the wort output to the fermenter and such. Not much good for gaging mash temperatures and they aren't all that accurate.

I use a generic digital round dial type when I need a temp from something other than a steeping or boil kettle.

To figure out when my steeping water is at the right temp, I previously used the taylor type timer with a probe on a cable. But if it gets too wet its useless. I decided, after some frustration with the taylor probe, that I could hang a simple and highly accurate glass thermometer like we all used to use in science/chemistry class. E-bay had them for like 10 bucks each shipped (12 inches long, dual scale from -20C to 110C). I hang it from a string anchored above the oven so its in the center of the boil kettle. Works great and it looks cool too.

DUAL SCALE SPIRIT THERMOMETER C / F - eBay (item 330327754097 end time Aug-02-09 15:27:18 PDT)

link to avagadro's lab supply store on ebay. pics there.

They only measure surface temp, so it would be pretty crappy to measure mash temp with.

I have both Evan! as you know from your POS thread. I use the thermocouple and found the MLT at most lost 2° in a 90 min mash. So now I just get my temp at the start close it up and walk away . I like both the Thermopen works better for me.

I have both Evan! as you know from your POS thread. I use the thermocouple and found the MLT at most lost 2° in a 90 min mash. So now I just get my temp at the start close it up and walk away . I like both the Thermopen works better for me.

I like being able to check it. In any case, I'm thinking of getting a rigid probe that would turn my indicator into a thermapen whenever I need it. That's the beauty of thermocouples...:D

Check it out. That first one is the same probe they use on the thermapen! For $30, I might just have to do it...

Say...why do you have both?

I like being able to check it. In any case, I'm thinking of getting a rigid probe that would turn my indicator into a thermapen whenever I need it. That's the beauty of thermocouples...:D

Check it out. That first one is the same probe they use on the thermapen! For $30, I might just have to do it...

Say...why do you have both?

cause the Thermopen was on sale and I couldn't say no... I like redundancy. I also have two bi metal Tru-temp dial thermometers with angle heads . And 2 Harleys , 2 boil pots ...... I need help

Back