What the hell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oparea

Reaction score
Trying to enter the Music City Brewfest in TN but my package was intercepted and returned. Shipped via UPS didn't know this was a problem. Arghh how the hell do I get my beer there, I already paid the entry fee.

Was there any reason for the "interception" of the package? Did you list "beer" or "alcohol" on the shipping form when you sent it? What did you list as the contents of the package? Technically, (at least I think) sending booze in the mail is a no-no. That being said, I always ship mine off via UPS (as does most everyone I know who enters competitions) and I always list the contents as either "jam" or "pickles" on the shipping form.. Never been a problem.

Where I go, they don't even ask about the contents. I just have it boxed up ready to go, they weigh it, enter the destination, and that's it. Worst case, I'll tell them they are Yeast Samples.

My UPS store lady says that the official UPS policy is that wine shipping is ok but not beer. Makes no sense to me. So, make sure you pack your boxes well:insert plastic bag, layer the entire inside of the box w bubble wrap, roll up each bottle in bubble wrap and make sure it is all very tight when you close the lid. She knows what I am shipping, but on my little form I say either educational materials or olive oil.

Yup. "Yeast samples in transport medium". It's not your fault they fermented and have to be diesposed of by consumption on the receiving end.

You're lucky they were returned! Shipping alcohol via USPS is illegal.

Use a different carrier, like FedEx or UPS. They also don't like to ship it, as it may be against their policy, but it's not illegal.

You're lucky they were returned! Shipping alcohol via USPS is illegal.

Use a different carrier, like FedEx or UPS. They also don't like to ship it, as it may be against their policy, but it's not illegal.

He said UPS, not USPS. :p

I had my local office refuse to ship it after they asked:

"What's in the package?"

Me: "Bottles."

"Oh, what kind of bottles"

Me: "Old beer bottles"

"What kind of old beer bottles?"

Me: "Just a few from my personal collection"

"There isn't still beer in them is there?"

Me: "Well, yeah"

"Sorry, we can't ship any alcohol once you've told us that's what's in there"

Me: "Well, if you hadn't given me the third degree after I gave you a perfectly legitimate answer, you'd make a few bucks and I'd have my package on the way..."

I don't lie when asked a direct question, so it was my own fault for not pre-paying. Which is what I did, and brought it back the next day and dropped it off no problem. They didn't even ask what was in it. Printing labels online FTW. :)

I am lucky we ship UPS right at work. I package my beer at the crib inside some HEAVY cardboard tubes after wrapping in padded envelopes. Just jam 2 bottles in there and tape the hell out of the ends. N chance of breaking even if you slammed it hard against a steel banister. They'd really have to want to break it in order to actually break it.

I had my local office refuse to ship it after they asked:

"What's in the package?"

Me: "Bottles."

"Oh, what kind of bottles"

Me: "Old beer bottles"

"What kind of old beer bottles?"

Me: None of your damn business!

Conversation over

I don't lie when asked a direct question, so it was my own fault for not pre-paying. Which is what I did, and brought it back the next day and dropped it off no problem. They didn't even ask what was in it. Printing labels online FTW. :)

What you should have said! haha:D

You didn't hppen to have homebrew competition in the mailing label did you? Or Beerfest on the address? That might be cause enough for an inspection.

I've shipped twice via UPS to the SW Region of the AHA competition, and the damn address for the competition is the AleSmith Brewery.

The first year, the lady said: "are you shipping alcohol?" I said: "Why would I ship alcohol to a brewery?" :D

This year, she said "more empty pint glasses?" ;)

Maybe label it: Proctology Supplies - Anal Lube. No one in their right mind would want to touch that box. ;)

"The Rebel Brewer" is the shipping address. I think that combined with my wife writing fragile all over the box might have had something to do with it. I figure next time I'll just put the addy on and leave anything that says brew on it out of the shipping address.

Back