What the hell was I thinking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catch-22

Reaction score
Decided to brew a Northern English Brown yesterday. Mashed in my 12 lbs of grains, hit my temp. First runnings were fine, a little bit of a stuck sparge but nothing new....then the fun began. As my wort was boiling I decided that rather than walk the extra 25 ft to the trash can I'd dump my spent grains down the disposal. Again, what was I thinking. Needless to say, I have a plumber coming. This may be the most expensive Brown ale in history.:mad::(

Decided to brew a Northern English Brown yesterday. Mashed in my 12 lbs of grains, hit my temp. First runnings were fine, a little bit of a stuck sparge but nothing new....then the fun began. As my wort was boiling I decided that rather than walk the extra 25 ft to the trash can I'd dump my spent grains down the disposal. Again, what was I thinking. Needless to say, I have a plumber coming. This may be the most expensive Brown ale in history.:mad::(

First LOL post for me this morning! Congratulations!

It took a few times for my wife to understand that they GD is not a black hole into food oblivion. She thought that if it fit, it's gone! A few times with potato peelings and cabbage leafs finally got through. It only took me one time.

It happens... I had the most expensive ravioli yesterday I've had, after the dog got in the trash after about 1 lb of ricotta cheese and aluminum foil and a vet trip this morning. So far she's doing better, just nauseated, $175 later.

Do you just have a clog or is the disposal shot?

It happens... I had the most expensive ravioli yesterday I've had, after the dog got in the trash after about 1 lb of ricotta cheese and aluminum foil and a vet trip this morning. So far she's doing better, just nauseated, $175 later.

Do you just have a clog or is the disposal shot?

Yep, I had my first unplanned vet trip for our Dog on Friday night, she got stung/bit by something as was swelling up all over. The wife was freaking out but she is very protective. We got out for just $75 on this visit though.

If it makes you feel any better.My motherinlaw tried to dump 3 boxes of instant potatoes down the GD.She said she didnt know what happened.Till I unscrewed it and found 15Lbs. of mashed potatoes in the pipes.:D

It made it through the disposal and down the pipes. I was able to feed a snake about 20' down before it hit "concrete". Had great efficiency though. Was going to call it my Roto-Rooter Brown ale but thought that might skew the judging.

I told my daughter not to put sunflower seeds in the toilet because it clogs the injector of my septic system. What happens is that the flow is restricted and the water is able to climb up the pipe but without enough force to properly eject. It then freezes the entire stack.

She dumped the seeds down the sink instead.

It made it through the disposal and down the pipes. I was able to feed a snake about 20' down before it hit "concrete". Had great efficiency though. Was going to call it my Roto-Rooter Brown ale but thought that might skew the judging.

Yikes! Well at least you tried to snake it, I'd hate to call a plumber on a job that could be fixed with a bit of homeowner work.

I told my daughter not to put sunflower seeds in the toilet because it clogs the injector of my septic system. What happens is that the flow is restricted and the water is able to climb up the pipe but without enough force to properly eject. It then freezes the entire stack.

She dumped the seeds down the sink instead.

Well, you weren't specific! hgaha, Why are seeds not going on the ground/trash in the first place!?

Well, you weren't specific! hgaha, Why are seeds not going on the ground/trash in the first place!?

I told her not to flush seeds and explained why. Since the sink has a strainer in it that makes washing seeds down somewhat difficult, and since the garbage is right next to the sink, I had assumed that a teenager would take the path of least resistance. I guess the sink is the magic black hole now that she understands the path of toilet sewage. :p

I learned the hard way that dental floss can't be flushed. Even see what 2 years worth of dental floss looks like on the end of a pipe snake?

Back