What the heck is German Spaltz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhlyanPan

Reaction score
I've got a package of hop pellets that I bought way back when I didn't know what the heck I was doing called German Spaltz. I can't find any information about it whatsoever. Anybody know what the deal is? Is it like a cross between Spalt and Saaz?

Yes I know what Spalt is but there is no profile of it spelled spaltz. Based on the fact that there is also a Saaz, it wouldn't be an unreasonable conclusion that it could be a hybrid or something. So read before you decide to post like a wiseass next time.

Thank you Yuri

I fail to see who the wise ass comment is directed to? (Probably me since I can't see it...;)).

I've re-read all the replies and can't find one that wasn't helpful in any way. They all contribute to the overall understanding of the hop in question.

Yes I know what Spalt is but there is no profile of it spelled spaltz. Based on the fact that there is also a Saaz, it wouldn't be an unreasonable conclusion that it could be a hybrid or something. So read before you decide to post like a wiseass next time.

Thank you Yuri

Really, because a google search of spaltz gave me 5 returns on the first page that were relevant. Good luck getting advice from people with an attitude like that.

Everybody calm down here. The OP got frustrated because his question (about spelling, not flavor profile) wasn't really answered. There is no need to turn this into a shouting match.

I'm cool...not in a argumentative mood at all.

I was just trying to ID what "wiseass" remark he was referring to since I couldn't find one...;)

If the problem arises from a spelling then I'm guessing the person who sold the hops to him didn't know how to spell...:eek:

If the problem arises from a spelling then I'm guessing the person who sold the hops to him didn't know how to spell...:eek:

I don't think it is miss-spelled. I see hops label "Spaltz" and "Spalter" all the time.

So, maybe the question has nothing to do with hops, maybe it is just a question of geography or language, but I don't know that much German. It is obvious that there is town in Germany named Spalt and there are legitimate sources that sell "Spalter" hop.

But I did a Google search too and found nothing to really explain the difference, a lot of people saying "yeah, they are the same," but nothing really to back that claim up.

My instincts want me to believe that "Spalt" describes hops that are grown there and "Spalter" are the specific cultivar grown there. Same as Hersbrucker from Hersbruck, Tettnanger from Tettnang.

All in all it probably does not make much if any difference and they can all be treated as the same variety. But it would still be nice to know 100% for sure.

I consider it wiseass when someone simply tells you to google something because if I told someone to google something it would be intended that way. If it wasn't I apologize. Every other post was perfectly fine.

Anyway...the issue at hand. I don't think it's a misspelling. It was in sealed factory bag from a well-known company (not that that's definitive). I'm just not familiar with the German language at all and didn't know if it was intended to be a different type of hop.

Apperently Spalt and Spaltz are the same thing. I am at work and I can' remember the link but it was discussed in another formum as being the same hop. Now about the reference to Google. The reason for that is because so many ppl ask question not realizing that the same pc that they are using to type the question is also connected to a giant encyclopedia call the internet. Just a friendly reminder is all.

Spalter has an unknown parentage and it's spelled many ways. It is generally considered to be part of the Saaz group of varieties, related to Tettnanger and Saazer, based only on the aroma profile. Most Spalter is grown in Germany.

Spalter has an unknown parentage and it's spelled many ways. It is generally considered to be part of the Saaz group of varieties, related to Tettnanger and Saazer, based only on the aroma profile. Most Spalter is grown in Germany.
Right you are David.

I've been to/through the Spalt region many times, as well as the Hallertau (between Munich and Ingolstadt) and Tettnanger (near Lindau/Bodensee). :D

Back