What the heck is a SMASH????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AND thats why when people are smart arses when they answer questions just pisses me off.
Never know who it is, or if they are the next HBT lifetime member supoporter.
Just plain rude, call it hazing, fun with the noobs, or what you will. Its just plain rude.
We were all noobs once, and if you cant remember that and answer appropriately, dont answer.

You are quite right there. The opinion of a lifetime supporter is no more or less valid than anyone else's.

I agree with your post to an extent, but there are ways of having a bit of fun without being disrespectful or offensive. Things just don't always work out that way. thats just life.

You are quite right there. The opinion of a lifetime supporter is no more or less valid than anyone else's.

I agree with your post to an extent, but there are ways of having a bit of fun without being disrespectful or offensive. Things just don't always work out that way. thats just life.

Hey LG, are you trying to make a serious post here.... Pretty out of character and scaring me a little.

WHO THE HELL ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH OUR GNOME?!?!

The point of smashing (my point) Is to learn.
Even though I'm adding extras it is still a Single Malt and Single Hop recipe

I've done MO and Fuggles 12 times now.
Each time is a variation

I tend to do MO/FUG virgin every 2 or 3 batches. Different IBU and OG. I've still never repeated a recipe. I've started doing some 2 x 3gallon batches at a time.
In between its been with some MO roasted or a decoction or with fruit or spices
Once I'm happy I tried all the things that will change the taste. (That I want to)
I'll then go on to experiment and try technique variations.

I'm lucky that I like plain old MO and fuggle beers. Even when I've exhausted my want to try list I'll still be brewing MO/FUG Smashes just because I like them.

I'm only precaculating a few of my recipes most of the time I just taking a few writen note on volume of ingredients used. I very rarely weigh ingredients now.
Even the volumes are from a known container rather than an actual measured volume.

The point of smashing (my point) Is to learn.
Even though I'm adding extras it is still a Single Malt and Single Hop recipe

I've done MO and Fuggles 12 times now.
Each time is a variation

I tend to do MO/FUG virgin every 2 or 3 batches. Different IBU and OG. I've still never repeated a recipe.
In between its been with some MO roasted or a decoction or with fruit or spices
Once I'm happy I tried all the things that will change the taste. (That I want to)
I'll then go on to experiment and try technique variations.

I'm lucky that I like plain old MO and fuggle beers. Even when I've exhausted my want to try list I'll still be brewing MO/FUG Smashes just because I like them.

I'm only precaculating a few of my recipes most of the time I just taking a few writen note on volume of ingredients used. I very rarely weigh ingredients now.
Even the volumes are from a known container rather than an actual measured volume.

with 12 different variations of MO/Fuggle, what combo would you say is your fav, and if that's too hard, top 5 in no order.

AND thats why when people are smart arses when they answer questions just pisses me off.
Just plain rude, call it hazing, fun with the noobs, or what you will. Its just plain rude.
We were all noobs once, and if you cant remember that and answer appropriately, dont answer.

It's all in good fun. Plus the answers are easy enough to find with a simple search or reading a threads. I enjoy "hazing" the people because I think of HBT as a club and because if they actually tried to search and read they'd find it in no time. Not to mention it's not Life/Death if they know.
If some posts asking how to wire up an E-Kettle or even something less severe such as assitance in a recipe or brewing method, we wouldn't joke them around. But this has to affect on anything.

A lot of them I've liked as a one off but they wouldn't be my "go to beer"

The oaked smash was a favourite, , it's one I did with a "calculated recipe" hence it's in my recipes. I like the hoppier but not overly malty IPA types at around 4 to 4.5%

I did a spiced ale at 7% that is a sort of one a 12oz bottle after a meal brew but it had a residue similar to a red wine. that coated your teeth. (see below***)

I'm ready to move on now and try something new. Like I said I'll use the SMaSH brewing to do method tests and do some of my favourite from time to time but I'll be looking at other types of recipes.

***The spices for the spiced ale come with fond memories of a trip to the High Atlas mountains and a long trip to find a fabled Berber spice dealer. His special mix of spices said to contain rare and little known spices with hallucinogenic properties would only be sold to travellers introduced by trusted friends. In reality it was the spilt spices swept from the floor with a little "herb mixed in" consequently it can't be replicated and probably accounts for the residue in the beer.
I have run out and need to make a tip bake to get some more :D

Orfy my brother....to you it may just be your yard...but to these frigid and tired eyes, living in the wastelands of metropolitian Detroit, it's a slice of heaven on earth. Thanks for sharing it!

:mug:

This thread = epic fail.

Those that have not been around long enough to know who Denny is before they offered up their quips should have taken some time to do some searches themselves or just not respond at all rather than habitually pressing the 'Post Quick Reply' button.

Nope. Looks to me like a pic taken through a window.

What exactly would Orfy be photo-shopping?

Agreed, the pic appears to have been taken through a screen, which can play with photos a bit. No Photoshopping in this pic.

Here here well said Bruce. Though I suspect the person that I direct this comment at won't notice. He'll just go on being condescending to new brewers and rude to anyone who dares ask a question, all to the benefit of his ridiculously high post count.

Oh and Orfy, you have a very nice garden. If ever I make it across the pond, I'll have to pay you a visit.

Several people have been asking for more pictures of my "Yard".
It’s just not the same without the beer! I have a MO/Fuggles SMaSH cold crashing. I’ll have to be satisfied with looking at your picture for a few more weeks. Damn, that picture makes me thirsty!

Orfy my brother....to you it may just be your yard...but to these frigid and tired eyes, living in the wastelands of metropolitian Detroit, it's a slice of heaven on earth. Thanks for sharing it!
The nifty weather station that my wife got me for Christmas says –7 degrees (with wind chill) here in New Jersey. Got to agree with Revvy. Just looking at those pictures warms me up a bit.

Does the left of this picture look photoshoped......send the real pix orfy
Nope. Looks to me like a pic taken through a window. What exactly would Orfy be photo-shopping?
Well, one of the things that I appreciated is none of the electric and phone wires you’d see around here.

Back