What the heck did I make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
When I was doing the 999 brew I also made two other beers that day. One was planned the other was a sper of the moment kind of thing.

I just went thru the grains I had, the yeast I had and found some hops in the freezer that I thought would work. My buddy is always trying to get me to make a "dark wheat". But for the life of me I don't know what a "dark wheat" would be.

I was thinking a Dunkle but if that's what he meant I can't lager so not going to happen.
What I did was I made a wheat beer that fit the IBU's, color (missed that a little), and OG/FG of a dunkel using what I had.

Here is the recipe.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout -
Recipe: NOT SO DUNKLE DUNKLE
Brewer: Part Time Brewery
Asst Brewer:
Style: Dunkelweizen
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 13.44 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 10.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 18.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 77.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10 lbs Wheat - White Malt (Briess) (2.3 SRM) Grain 52.63 %
7 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 39.47 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2.63 %
8.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2.63 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 1.32 %
4.0 oz Special B (Dingemans) (147.5 SRM) Grain 1.32 %
1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent - leaf 6.3 AAU [6.30 %Hops 14.2 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette pellet [4.60 %] (15 min) Hops 3.8 IBU
2 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 19.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 23.75 qt of water at 177.8 F 152.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 14.25 qt of water at 205.2 F 168.0 F

It's been in the keezer and on the gas for 5 days, it's still a little light on the carb but my god this is good.
I think I just made the best damn ESB or English Brown Ale I have ever had. :D

Victory is something I would probably put in a brown but I don't think it's too far off from a dunkel. The rest of the recipe sounds like a dunkel. That S-04 kinda ruins it's chances to be a real dunkel I guess. Maybe a fast dunkel like a fast octoberfest. A funkel?

You can make a DunkelWeizen
BJCP said:
Ingredients: By German law, at least 50% of the grist must be malted wheat, although some versions use up to 70%; the remainder is usually Munich and/or Vienna malt. A traditional decoction mash gives the appropriate body without cloying sweetness. Weizen ale yeasts produce the typical spicy and fruity character, although extreme fermentation temperatures can affect the balance and produce off-flavors. A small amount of noble hops are used only for bitterness.

Back