What temperature for first addition of extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSGT09

Reaction score
I'm going to be doing my first late addition extract brew this weekend but am seeing conflicting remarks as to what temperature the wort should be at for the first round of extract addition.

I'll be steeping grains in a small amount of water first while warming about 3.5 gallons of water in my brew pot. With my grain tea my brew volume will be around 4 gallons. Does my 4 gallons need to come to a boil first before my first addition of extract?

You bring it to a boil, pull it off the heat, add your first extract addition ensuring it doesn't scorch on the bottom. Once it's dissolved, put it back on the heat and bring back to boil. Start your 60 min timer and follow your hop addition schedule from there. This is what I do and works fine.

I don't think there is a right or wrong way. I put a bunch in before the boil when it's warm and will dissolve. Bring to boil and with 20 minutes to go stop the clock - add the rest, bring to boil start teh clock.

I use plain DME with LME in mine. I add 1.5lbs of the DME in a 3 gallon boil,& do my hop additions. Then at flame out,add the remaining DME & all the LME. Stir to completely dissolve. Then put a lid on it to steep while i sanitize the FV. Then into the ice bath to chill down to 65-70F.

Back