What temp does everyone mash at?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuNchBoX1371

Reaction score
So im gonna do my first all-grain here in the near future and was wondering what temperatures does every one mash at and what temperature they sparge at? Cause i have heard of beta gluten rest and saccharride, i think thats what it is, rest so im just wondering what temps people prefer

Depends on the style. For maltier beers, I'll mash higher (154-156), for hoppier beers I'll mash lower (150-152). For saisons I'll go down to 148. You can do step mashes with multiple temperature rests, but for most beers this isn't necessary. What beer are you brewing for your inaugural all grain batch?

It really depends on the beer. For a first attempt at all grain, I would try to mash at 152. That temperature gives me a good balance between body and fermentability. I fly sparge with water at 168.

Depends on the style. For maltier beers, I'll mash higher (154-156), for hoppier beers I'll mash lower (150-152). For saisons I'll go down to 148. You can do step mashes with multiple temperature rests, but for most beers this isn't necessary. What beer are you brewing for your inaugural all grain batch?

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/88799/detroit-spiced-blonde-ale
If you arent able to open the link let me know and ill tell you but ok im not sure yet what kind of taste im necessarily goin for but kinda a smooth crisp beer thats why im using a lb of pilsner with a light color-crystal malt 10L- i want a malt taste although i want to retain that hop aroma so im thinking of dry hopping maybe; but im also adding a little rye for some spice.

LuNchBoX1371 said:
What is SMaSH?

The abbreviation for Single malt and single hop.

For your first mash just go for 152 +- 2 degrees.

Sparge water temp depends on your setup. You want to get it as close to 170 as possible. In my setup, since i batch sparge, this means i need to dump in 205 f water after my initial drain. The water looses heat as it passes through the air and as it comes into contact with the grains. When i drain that i add the next batch of water at 192 F. It always equalizes very close to 170.

I would not be very picky on your first AG and expend too much effort trying to hit the sparge temperatures right on. Just get the mash temp good and you will be fine.

Latest posts

Back