What temp. do you need to keep beer at?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fly223

Reaction score
I’m interested in making a nice Ale this winter but since I live 2 blocks from the beach would it be okay if the demi-john/car-boy are kept inside the garage? I do not have a basement etc. My garage gets approx.. 40 degrees in the winter if it’s really cold out.
What are some of your thoughts folks?

Hope this is the correct area for me to post this.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

If that's where you're planning to ferment, then it's not really a good idea. 40 degrees is way too low for any ale yeast to ferment at, and even lager yeasts would struggle at that temperature. The yeast really needs to be within it's temperature range for successful fermentation. Is there any reason you can't leave it inside?

Depends on the yeast. Most ales need temps in the 60's though. Some are ok in the low 70's.

Edit: the temps I am referring to are fermentation temps, not ambient temps.

Yeah, You need to keep things in the 60's for most ale yeasts, and keep the temp steady. Find a closet or room that stays near that temp (and the location may change depending on the time of year). That's what I did for a long time. Upstairs closet in winter, downstairs/basement in summer, etc.

Back