What styles can you not drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not a big fan smoked beer. Honestly, I would probably take a BMC over a smoked beer.

I've only had one smoked beer in my life. I can't even remember what it was called, but it was rated fairly high on BA/RB as far as smoked beers went. I can honestly say that is the only beer style I've ever encountered that I wouldn't be willing to try again. It became a little more tolerable at the end, but that was only because I was trying my hardest to just drink it and not taste it.

Edit: Okay, maybe it's not the only beer I'll avoid. I don't mind a good (real) fruit beer. But the BMC Lime and almost anything (even non-fruit) by Leinenkugel, is pretty vile to me.

I actually don't mind Bud whatsoever. I actually enjoy Bud, and Busch. :mug: Anything lower than that on the AB totem pole (Natty Light) is just garbage. I don't think you're allowed to drink that once you're past age 20 anyway.

I really don't care too much for Miller and Coors though.

Smoked styles I tend to avoid. And belgian wit unless the mood and food are paired right.. can't just "drink" one of those.

I like hoppy beers that aren't overly hopped (vague enough for you? :D lol)
Was at the Victory Brewery last weekend, I LOVED the Hop Devil, but thought the Hop Wallop was too hoppy for me.

Spaten is the only beer that I had trouble choking down.

I have one Optimator left out of the six pack I bought last week. It's a little too toasty and roasty for my tastes by itself, but pair it with a huge, spicy cigar (I drank two with my Edge Sumatra Reserve Sat) and it's nice. Real nice.

I have one Optimator left out of the six pack I bought last week. It's a little too toasty and roasty for my tastes by itself, but pair it with a huge, spicy cigar (I drank two with my Edge Sumatra Reserve Sat) and it's nice. Real nice.
Interesting!

I'm just now starting to look into beer pairings with cigars. Up until this point I've primarily stuck with bourbon and whiskeys (I don't care for scotch).

I tried several times to pair smoked beers with cigars figuring it would be a natural combination, but i just don't like the taste of a smoked beer :( really wish i did!!

I don't like all those dark beers :D

Funny fact. Natural Ice is actually one of the higher quality beers produced by the big boys. So is Milwaukee's Best. Ingredient for ingredient they are higher quality than the light beers. Funny what marketing can dot to the taste buds.

Cost has nothing to do with quality at that scale, Miller and Bud are "premium" brands so they just charge accordingly.

I had a Milwaukee's Best Ice tallboy the other day and it was actually a really good American lager. I was impressed.

Also, Oktoberfestbier has no wheat in it.

I don't like all those dark beers :D

Funny fact. Natural Ice is actually one of the higher quality beers produced by the big boys. So is Milwaukee's Best. Ingredient for ingredient they are higher quality than the light beers. Funny what marketing can dot to the taste buds.

Cost has nothing to do with quality at that scale, Miller and Bud are "premium" brands so they just charge accordingly.

I had a Milwaukee's Best Ice tallboy the other day and it was actually a really good American lager. I was impressed.

Also, Oktoberfestbier has no wheat in it.
I don't have any information to refute that. I suppose my judgment of these is due to only drinking them at room temperature, in a dark smoke filled dank basement, from a plastic cup with a pingpong ball in it that was just on the floor rolling around in cigarette butts and god knows what else......... :D

I'll stop on the way home and pick up some to try it... might as well, it's cheap enough!

Interesting!

I'm just now starting to look into beer pairings with cigars. Up until this point I've primarily stuck with bourbon and whiskeys (I don't care for scotch).

I tried several times to pair smoked beers with cigars figuring it would be a natural combination, but i just don't like the taste of a smoked beer :( really wish i did!!

It's like pairing just about anything, really. You want the tastes to complement each other, not compete. On the one hand you have this huge malty toasty beer, why not pair it with a very spicy cigar? On the flip side, I'd probably go with a milder cigar with an IPA...but that's a different thread.

I'll drink pretty much drink anything and enjoy it. I'll drink commercial lagers, wits (although I'm not a huge fan of the starchy finish), I would even try a cilantro wheat, but I cannot do flanders-style beers like Duchess De Bourgne (totally not spelled right)--too much funk for me. Oh yea, and I genuinely do not enjoy chipotle or other pepper beers.

I don't like smoking cigars with beer, the cigar totally dominates my taste buds even with a big IPA or an Imperial Stout.

I'm not a fan of anything above 7% normally, although I haven't had an IPA above 7% yet, only imperial stouts and Chimay.

maybe try
UNIBROUE - OUR BEERS PAGE

or UNIBROUE - OUR BEERS PAGE

i personally like the Ephemere

also I really like me some Hoegaarden, great witbeer...

I've rarely had a beer I hated, can't think of one in fact, I do have some I'm less fond of, I think its Martzen's I've had and not really been fond of... I still drank a whole 6 pack, but didn't dig it... I don't pay for BMC but drink it at parties etc all the time

Back