I'm brewing this recipe this weekend.

10 lbs 2-row
1 lb rye malt
.5lb c-60

.5 galena 60 min

.5 centennial 10 min

.5 cascade flame out

wlp001

Not that I really care what style it is, but just to give it a name (if it turns out worthy of one) what style would this fall under?

I also have alot of cascade, summit, willamette, and warrior hops if you guys think any of those would be better, I want something @ 30 IBUs.

Pappers_

Staff member
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Let your taste buds be your guide, but from the recipe, I might put this in category 6D, American Wheat or Rye, probably. But if the rye character doesn't come through, at less than 10% of the grain bill, I'd add a few more hops, maybe dry hop it, and call it a American Pale Ale.

I would name it Rye Not?, copyright pending. If you end up using this name, please send me $0.0025 for each label this name appears on. ;)

terrapinj

Reaction score
seems borderline APA / Blonde Ale with rye

color may be a little dark for a blonde; not sure what your SRM will be with the C60.

30IBU puts you just over the upper range for blonde but I doubt a judge would notice a few IBU high - but prob not quite enough IBU or hops to score well as an APA

maybe golden rye ale or something like that

OP
I

irishplague

Reaction score
Pappers, should I have upped the rye? This is my first time using it and wanted to try it out. Am I not going to notice it at 8.7% ? Oh, and I like you're name suggestion, I'll be sure to send you the royalties ;)

terrapinj

Reaction score
with that amount you may notice some flavor but prob perceive more of the dryness in the finish.

20% rye is common amount to use in Rye IPA's - it really depends how noticeable you want it to be. 10% or so is prob a good start

if you go 6D rye needs to be the dominating flavor