What Style of Wheat would you call this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bartman

Reaction score
I brewed my first wheat beer and it came out way better than I expected. I am entering it in a local brew competition and not sure what wheat classification it would fall under. Here is the recipe.

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.70 lb Wheat Dry Extract 55/45 (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 69.51 %
1.00 lb Lager Malt (2.0 SRM) Grain 12.20 %
1.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 12.20 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.10 %
1.25 oz Hallertauer [3.80 %] (60 min) Hops 17.0 IBU
0.75 oz Hallertauer [3.80 %] (3 min) Hops 1.3 IBU
1 Pkgs Safbrew WB-06 Yeast-Ale
--------------
OG 1.063 / FG 1.014
Any help would be appreciated.
Any tips on what the judges will be looking for.
Thanks

I think it mostly depends on how the yeast behaved.
I've never used WB-06 before, but I've read a wide variety of reports about it. Some say it produces classic banana-clove hefeweizen flavours and aromas, while others say it does nothing of the sort.

I reckon if you got the banana-clove flavour/aroma then you're closest to 15A. Weizen/Weissbier. The aroma hops and Vienna malt are a bit atypical, but given the colour and small amount of Vienna I still think it's probably closer to that than to a dunkelweizen.

If you didn't get the banana-clove from the yeast and it turned out pretty clean then it'd probably be most at home in 6D. American Wheat or Rye Beer.

The OG is high for any normal wheat style.

You might opt for Category 23 Specialty Beer.

As far as the flavor, there are some banana/clove flavors present.
I think the high OG came from my steeping method...I steeped the grains at 155F for 1 hour in an attempt at some sort of mini mash. The higher abv sure gives this wheat a kick.

Back