What style of stout do I have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyolympia

Reaction score
I picked up a stout kit (dried extract with steeping grains) and I'm curious exactly what style I should expect/hope to produce out of it. Papazian talks only about dry, sweet and imperial stouts, and based on the ingredients in his recipes it looks like my batch should be a bit bigger than a sweet stout but short of an imperial. If any of you knowledgable people can look at this recipe and name a more precise style, I'd like to know what you think:

5 gallon batch

6 lbs dried amber malt extract
1 lb crystal 120L malt
1/2 lb roasted barley malt
1/2 lb black patent malt
10 HBUs Northern Brewer hops (bittering)
1 1/2 oz Golding hops (aroma)
Wyeast Irish ale yeast 1084
Priming corn sugar

OG 1.050
FG 1.010

Thanks for your help!

(Cross-posted in Recipes and Ingredients)

I picked up a stout kit (dried extract with steeping grains) and I'm curious exactly what style I should expect/hope to produce out of it. Papazian talks only about dry, sweet and imperial stouts, and based on the ingredients in his recipes it looks like my batch should be a bit bigger than a sweet stout but short of an imperial. If any of you knowledgable people can look at this recipe and name a more precise style, I'd like to know what you think:

5 gallon batch

6 lbs dried amber malt extract
1 lb crystal 120L malt
1/2 lb roasted barley malt
1/2 lb black patent malt
10 HBUs Northern Brewer hops (bittering)
1 1/2 oz Golding hops (aroma)
Wyeast Irish ale yeast 1084
Priming corn sugar

OG 1.050
FG 1.010

Thanks for your help!

To me, it looks like a "not quite so dry" stout. I dunno - I doubt you'll get that much attenuation with a pound of crystal in there. At any rate, it's not Imperial, it doesn't have lactose or oats in there, so it's a dry stout by process fo elimination, I guess.

ETA: I'm sure it will be a very enjoyable beer. Unless you are trying to clone something, there's really nothing to criticize about it.

I'd call it Sweet Stout. 'Cos that sounds like where it'll end up.

Amber extract contains Crystal malt already. Then there's an additional pound of Crystal; not just any Crystal, mind, but about the darkest, most flavorful, least fermentable Crystal you can add.

To top it off, you're using an under-attenuative yeast strain which is NOT designed for Stout, no matter how large the letters they use to print "Irish". It's for Irish Red Ale and stuff like that, not Dry Irish Stout.

I think you'll be very lucky to get that beer below 1.020. It's going to be full-bodied, a dessert beer. I think it'll be AWESOME over chocolate ice cream, or even as the base of a chocolate ice cream float.

Cheers!

Bob

To top it off, you're using an under-attenuative yeast strain which is NOT designed for Stout, no matter how large the letters they use to print "Irish". It's for Irish Red Ale and stuff like that, not Dry Irish Stout.
Bob, I'm curious now what yeast you recommend for a dry stout. Lately I've been using Edinburgh yeast (WLP028) in my sweet stout; last time I made a dry stout I used 004 and was not happy with the results.

You want something that'll attenuate in the 80% range. Any low- to mid-ester attenuative yeast will work.

And you want to keep the grist simple. Classic Dry Irish Stout is pale malt, roasted barley and flaked barley. That's it. The roasted gives astringency and bitterness, the flaked a certain smoothness and roundness to the mouthfeel, and the pale malt is simply extract.

The key to good DIS is a combination of roasted barley and high-attenuating yeast; that's what makes it "dry".

You dig?

Bob

Assuming that this will be a sweet stout, when would you gentlemen add the aroma hops? Would you give it a full 15 minutes in the boil, or only one or two minutes? I'm fascinated by the difference that would result from adjustments in either direction, but this stout will be my second batch ever and I'm not sure which direction to go for the style.

If you like hops then add .75oz at 5 minutes and the rest at flameout! Should give a nice hoppy finish (depending on the variety of hops)

If you do not like a lot of hop flavor then like Bob said, leave 'me out!

Dry Irish Stout 13A (BJCP) calls for medium to no hop flavor!

Back