What style of beer is this recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blowmax10

Reaction score
So i had some stuff lying around ad decided to make a batch of beer

Here is a link to the recipe on hopville

not mentioned is that the malt extract came from a kit that had set for several months - this extract contained hops and i have no idea how much bittering they will impart

I can say that i tasted it before i bottled it and it was very grainy

Mystery style!

It really doesn't go towards any established style that I know of. The entire recipe WANTS to be an english ale , but you have the cascade hops in there. The ibus vs alcohol content vs color pretty much rule anything in that family except for a brown ale, but the gravity is too high. So without knowing how well hopped the extract was, I would say it's an "imperial English/American nut brown ale".... Couple more things: that's a lot of victory, & do you really have 200L crystal, because I've never heard of it.

With a high gravity beer like that, let it sit for several months before you pass judgement -- maybe it will be great!

No it was Simpson's extra dark which is 155-165 but all hopville had was 135 and 200

I guess 135 would have been closer

also after just looking at the recipe again I think i have the extract wrong - i think it should be 5.5#s not 6.5

I just updated it

Yup. It's officially Beer. It's brown, it's malt-forward, and it's yours. ;)

You mentioned that it's 'grainy'. With a full pound of Victory, I am not surprised. Victory can be overwhelming unless used in moderation.

Bob

Well that isn't 17 SRM then, is it.

What is the point in providing wrong information about your beer and asking what style it is?

It didn't come out like hopville said it would

Back