what style of beer does this fall into?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jnco_hippie

Reaction score
5 gallon batch:

3lb dark LME
1LB Munich LME
1lb 6row
1lb 2row
2oz black roast barley
4oz coffee malt
1lb chocolate malt
1lb crystal 150L
3oz toasted whole rye
14 oz turbanado sugar
Wyeast 1056 american ale
1oz galena @60 min
1/2oz Chinook @ 15 min
1/2oz Chinook at flameout

Obviously not a standard recipe. We had a very random assortment of grains and extract left over, and we were bored... so, we got drunk and brewed!

We have no idea what it is, but we're gonna serve it at our wedding next year!!!!

ForumRunner_20121212_014856.jpg
On the right, white stopper.

Please give us ANY thoughts you have on it.

What style it is closest to?
Would you drink it?
will it be decent alc %?

We did not take OG, hydrometer just arrived today.

I mean... it could pass for a stout, but I'd be sure to taste that puppy before committing to serve it at a wedding ;)

I'd be curious to see how it turns out, esp with the chinook aroma additions. I'd say it sounds/looks stout-ish as well, though.

Was this a partial mash or did you steep the dry grains? The combination of drunk and brewing sounds like a bad idea.

Grains were mashed.... i think?
I put the grains in a very large muslin bag, then dropped it in the 20qt pot, kept temp at 160 for an hour. stirring the bag and making sure all surfaces of the grains were in contact with water. i then removed the bag, drained what would come out, by gravity, then finally sparged the bag in a seperate pot with 3cups water for 10 min.

I thought that as long as i am using base grain for conversion (1lb each 2row and 6row) that i am mashing.

am i correct on this?

Well, generally yes. But, 160 is the upper end that sacchrification happens at (turning starch into sugar). If you strayed a degree or two high, you would denature the enzymes that convert the starch to sugars and be simply steeping. 152-158 is the most common range for mashing, although there are reasons to do rests at lower temps that that.

That said, according to Brewers Friend, your ingredients would produce the following beer(assuming 65% efficiency on the mash):
OG 1.056
FG 1.014
ABV 5.64%
IBU 63.3
SRM 36.6

And that does conform with the BJCP definition of an American Stout.

Latest posts

Back